• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harrow disc blade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazo kid

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I can have a disc blade and was wondering just what is entailed in cutting it into blade sections? Do I have to anneal the disc in order to cut it, or can I use a hacksaw to cut it into manageable parts? I have annealed power saw blades and they are then easy to saw into the desired parts, was wondering if I have to do this to the disc?

Anneal and re-temper.
It's hardened (albeit not as hard as a knife blade - harrow blades 40's Rockwell C, knife blades the 50's Rockwell C) but cutting it/them will take an angle grinder or some such to do it with and the heat generated will ruin what temper there is......
Harrow blades are genarally 1075-1084 steel - use the specs for those steels to heat treat.....

If it's only 40, a good quality hack-saw blade will cut it. I've cut out 2 throwing knives from lawn-mower blades with a hack-saw, and didn't have much trouble.

If you have or know someone with a torch or plams touch you can make strip of metal and then make your knife.

when I worked for a gun manufacturer, I cut .45 slides with a bandsaw with no problems. I just used a slow feed and ran coolant. As I recall, the slides were around 52 Rockwell hardness. Hope this information is helpful.

Latest posts

Back