• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone tumbled their Balls in media ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your balls are nice and clean, rub Bore Butter all over them to keep them smelling minty fresh and protected.

To get them nice and clean, when they have the dry, white coating that has formed over time, simply pop them into your mouth. The white coating is sorta sweet...,

.., anybody got an aspirin? I have a wicked headache.

LD

for a finished look?

Tumbling with grit media in a rock tumbler will coat them in grit that won't come off. I guess that might work well if you wanted to lap your barrel.

Putting them in a brass tumbler with walnut media will just add a coating of walnut dust and won't remove the grit coating. Soaking in acetone or mineral spirits won't remove that coating, so the only way to get rid of it is melting and re-casting.

(Don't ask me how I know.)

*** Tumbling sans media (i.e. Clean!) in a rock tumbler will make them turn a darker color and will smooth out minor imperfections.

You knew this question was going to take dark turn…. But you asked it anyway.
Don’t know if they are shiny or not… but you do have one heck of a set of balls. 😂😂😂

Media and balls don’t mix well… ask good ol’ Bill!! I tumble them in lapidary tumbler with a tiny bit of graphite. They last much longer without oxidizing. The sprue is a factor, Lee and RCBS from recent molds are almost sprueless bye Lyman continue to leave the hard to ignore sprue. Those llame like from a Lyman mold, if you tumble them by themselves the sprues ain’t going nowhere as it is too long, they will end up looking like pears! Attached a pic of before and after , 45 minutes. Also if you have only one tumbler you can place them inside a freezer bag to keep the tumbler clean.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Spurs, pine sent, imperfections..... ya'll got some odd hygiene issues in this thread - I'm go'in back the Stuck ball thread...still trying to figure that one! 🤔

Back