• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HAWES Tower Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Stopped at a flea market today and found a Hawes Tower Pistol in excellent condition. Only issue is the frizzen is very very stiff and with the only flint I have available it will not open the frizzen to allow sparks to be directed into the flash pan. It has been some time since I have done anything with a flintlock but I seem to remember that it was or might be necessary to polish the part of frizzen that rubs against the spring. If not that then how would you go about to remove some of the tension on spring. Second question I have is about the caliber of pistol, measuring at the muzzle it reads .663, so would that be classified as a 69cal?

Thanks, that is what I thought but all I found doing the GOOGLE search showed 69cal. And I smoothed out the bottom of frizzen and it works great, good shower of sparks and will set off 3f in a split second.

OK, I'm sitting down. How much did you have to pay for it. I promise I won't cry.

Well don't want you too upset, I did sprain my wrist getting my wallet out to pay the guy. Got it for $100.00 and it is in mint condition, the man I bought it from is a shade tree gunsmith but in my opinion he is much better than a lot of the ones I see full time gunsmiths. He said the wood was in terrible condition but you can't tell it now. Bad thing was I thought I had flints here at home, found one that is barely held in the jaws but it will throw a hefty spark right in the pan. I did have to polish the bottom of frizzen to let it open a little more. When I can figure out how to post a picture I will put it up.

Back