• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Fullstock Nosecaps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahkagari

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Deciding how to taper my stock into the nosecap. I see some that taper right from the cap, some cut back a few more inches before tapering. Any input on what is more HC/PC?

IMG_2321.jpg

http://grrw.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Bob-Phil-Fullstock-Hawken-Rifles-less-red.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a full stock Hawken in the flesh, only photos that I have seen don't show the muzzle end well. People who have made copies and my first gun that I build looked like that photo, not going back too far. Elder Hawken made southern style guns, but I think I have only ever seen one photo of any of his guns and it looked like a Maryland rifle. I don't see them making one sans nose cap :idunno: but...they did turn out a lot of brass and silver, and a few mixed. if you placed the front thimble back a bit you could do a lot of things with the tip. Will be interested in what you end up doing :thumbsup:

Just from a practical standpoint.....a longer "flat" area behind the Mcap would allow for more fingers to grab the RR. As in the pic, extending the RR beyond the muzzle accomplishes the same thing. Don't know what would be HC .....Fred

The Smithsonian Hawken appears to have no taper at all. The nose cap is grooved and appears to match the contour of the upper full stock all the way out. It could be Schnable,...where the muzzle end of the cap is larger thus flaring out slightly. The photos are grainy and it's hard to tell.
Another possible Hawken fullstock tapers into a smooth nose cap. The rails of the ramrod groove appear to be V shaped like some Lemans and Lehighs.
On Lemans and Lehighs, sometimes the upper fullstock is V shaped with no taper...the cap continues the V. Sometimes on Lemans...Nearly always on Lehighs.
Clear as mud?
There appears to be many different ways to approach this area and most are "correct" period methods.
I guess the best course for you is to study and see what you feel matches your build.

Back