• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkins Arms NZ (Tony Hawkin)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering who in the world has had experience with this manufacturer of black powder rifles.

I have two of them in .45, and noted in my introduction thread[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/212848/[/url]
that windtalker_au has experience with them as well.

CIMG0921.jpg

They are a New Zealand manufactured example, not to be confused with Hawken rifles.

I'm always keen on a bit of history, and like to gather as much info as I can about my rifles, I know the manufacturer of these (Mr Tony Hawkin) passed away some years back, but his rifles seem to pop up here in NZ quite regularly.

I did try to start investigating if the barrel numbers were sequential for calibre, or just followed the sequence regardless of what calibre they were, IE could there be the same number in .45 and .50 for example?
Here is an example on one of the ones I have here.

CIMG0922.jpg

The last two digits denote barrel twist rate.

I am yet to get a definitive answer.

I am keen to get some answers/stories from others who own or have owned/shot them in the past.

Also I know there is a bit of rust on the barrel in these pics, this is a restoration job, that looks nothing like that now.

Story here :[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/212864/post/new/#NEW[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
As noted in your other thread, I've had some experience with them, and a lot of 'older' shooters around will be the same as they were almost the only muzzleloader you could get easily and relatively cheaply 20 odd years ago. Tony was still manufacturing when I started...

There are still a lot floating around, but not all are recognisable at first glance, having been modified in some way. For example, a lot of .38's have been cut down to kids guns.

Sold mine a couple of years ago, made sense at the time...

Steve

Oh, and Tony only made them in .38, .45, and .58 as far as I'm aware.

Can't tell you anything more about serial numbers, but I'd guess that each was unique i.e. no duplicate numbers in different calibres.

Steve

Just found the instructions that came with my rifle - dated October 1985! From this I can tell you that at that time the rifles were available in:

.45 barrel, 32" long, 1" across, .45 bore, .459 groove, 6 lands. 1:22 for 350 and 450 grain bullets, 1:40 for 300 grain bullets and round ball.
.38 barrel, 1:18, 270 grain bullet.
.58 barrel, 1:66 for round ball only.

.38 and .45 also in 24" barrel.

"We manufacture our own bullet moulds which ensure correct fit of the bullet to the barrel and therefore superior accuracy".

tmla said:
Just found the instructions that came with my rifle - dated October 1985! From this I can tell you that at that time the rifles were available in:

.45 barrel, 32" long, 1" across, .45 bore, .459 groove, 6 lands. 1:22 for 350 and 450 grain bullets, 1:40 for 300 grain bullets and round ball.
.38 barrel, 1:18, 270 grain bullet.
.58 barrel, 1:66 for round ball only.

.38 and .45 also in 24" barrel.

"We manufacture our own bullet moulds which ensure correct fit of the bullet to the barrel and therefore superior accuracy".

That's some stunning info, you cant get better than from the manufacturer me thinks.
Thank you very much for sharing that.

My one has had the barrel shortened, due to a stock mishap I think, so may change things a bit.

I should measure the barrel and see where exactly it sits.

Cheers Again

Alex

Hi Alex. Knew the man. He lived and worked in Captain Springs rd. Onehunga. I have 3 of those Hawkens. 2 in .45 1/20 twist and 1 in 58.Watch out for the nipples. Tony did things a little different sometimes. His origial ones had a 3/16 unf thread on them and nothing made today fits. Also don't use his ramrods as they were generally made of pine and were untreated. Nasty if they should happen to break on you. In those days we couldn't get hickory. Parts and bits appear sometimes at auctions, ect, locally.Most of those that have them seem to hoard them as spares for themselves. I have 3 of his moulds that match the 45's and all have a slightly different olgive. That is the only way to date as to when they were made. As well as rifles he turned out kits. Some turn up touted as original and you have to know what he turned out to pick the difference. If I can help you call 092947003. I usually go down to Kopara to shoot in the Easter Rondi.

Cheers for the info on Tony Mr bitehard.

I have re threaded the bolsters in both the ones I have for a std nipple, although if anyone is looking for an original, Banz engineering here in CHCH NZ make them.

I wouldn't consider using the ram rods that are with the rifle, I picked they were for decoration only really.

I know what you mean about parts, I do have a complete new stock for a Tony Hawkin, I was given it by another Kopara shooter, yet to pick it up though.

Interesting info on the different moulds, now I'm really disappointed mine didn't come with moulds, so I could better research their history.

I haven't made it to an Easter shoot at Kopara yet, done some club shoots there last year, and two North South Shoots, I've been a bit quite on the scene lately.

Rather than dilute this Topic I have started a new one, on the info I am looking for in regards to my Main shooter.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/212916[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
I have a Tony Hawkin 45 percussion, the little tooth on the hammer shaft which contacts the trigger mechanism has sheered away, does anybody know if you can buy the whole mechanism or the shaft? were they custom made by Tony or bulk purchased from a supplier??
at least 40 years old so great life really !!

Thanks and regards Mike S

Back