• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hawse 44 revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Andy,
Hawes marketed and sold several BP guns in the early 70's.
Hawes did not make any of these guns, they were imported from various manufacturers. Some were pretty bad, others were very good.
These were made before Uberti, or Pietta got on their feet.
Yours may have the stamp of Armi San Marco on it.
They did make a good gun at the time.
And in most cases were very close to weight and dimensions, to the originals.
The early models, even had standard imperial threads on the various screws on the gun.
Later Italian guns had metric screws.
I'm quite sure if you get the chance to compare yours to an original, it will be quite close.
Have a good ( repeat good ) gunsmith check out the inside parts for hardness and alignment.
Some of the early guns from Replica Arms from Marietta ( spelling ?), Ohio were NOT very good.
I hope this helps out.
Best regards!
Fred

I forgot about our database here. It was made in 1970 and is am Armi San Paolo S.r.l., established in 1970, uses the last names of the original founders Grassi, Doninelli, and Gazzola as a symbol, DGG

Andy

Hi,
Looking at your pictures, I see little scratching on the cylinder, so it would seem that timing is pretty good, especially for the age of the gun.
If you get a good gunsmith to check and polish the inside. ( I mean the working parts, and verify their hardness ) you should have a good shooting gun.
Please keep a good supply of white grease on the cylinder pin while shooting to prevent unnecessary wear on the inner working parts.
As black powder residue builds up, it becomes harder, and harder to cock the hammer, resulting in greater wear on the hand that rotates the cylinder.
I have shot Pyrodex in these cap guns at it works well, IF the powder is new. You can shoot many, many shots in a day without binding, whereas real BP will force you to clean up after a few cylinders of shooting. If the hammer becomes difficult to pull back, clean the gun.
You can cause harm to the hand of the revolver with just a few shots.
I do not know if new Uberti parts fit exactly into your revolver. They should be close. If you can get to a place like Dixion's or Friendship, you should be able to get some spare parts, to keep your shooter going for many years.
Once again, I hopes this helps.
Oh, did I tell you, that I love black powder hand guns?
Fred

I'm going to have to dig mine out. Pretty sure it is a Hawes 1858, purchased in early '73 at Honsports, Honolulu. Had to shim the nipples out a bit with tin foil to get caps to ignite. Also the hammer hits several nipple recesses on the right shoulders. Been thinking I should get some longer nipples (as well as check the cylinder/bore alignment).

Mine has the DGG under the lever and from wha i could find here that makes it a Armi San Paolo S.r.l. and the serial date ia 1970.

Andy

Latest posts

Back