• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

head shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never taken a head shot. But I can tell you that back in my centerfire days I once came across a doe who had no lower jaw. It was the end of opening day and she was bedded down and suffering big time. I was thankful that I was able to end it right there. It was one of the best kills I have ever made becuase I was able to end her suffering. This meant more to me than shooting a nice buck. I hope I never have the same opportunity again.

several years ago at the very begining of the season I wounded not one but two deer, looked hard never found them I spent a long sleepless night over that. I had a talk with myself and promised I will not shoot unless they are still and I am confident I can pull it off. Twenty somthing deer later one shot kills I always am thankful to be patient enough to do it right

I've only used head shots to quickly finish off deer and one elk during modern rifle season. I'd dropped them with a chest shot from the '06 and finished them off with the 357 mag with hot handloads. The deer were point blank. The elk had laid down and was instantly finished off at 20 yds with a perfecty placed head shot.

I wouldn't try a head shot unless the shot were as perfect as the range (known range, 2" groups on center, no wind, known temperature, relaxed heart rate, comfortably seated at a bench, target not moving, etc.) Since I've NEVER had those conditions in the field, I'm not going to chance the unknown veriables with a head shot but go for the large area of the vittles.

My 2¢ worth.

my brother took a hail mary shot at a small doe sixty yards away with a bow&arrow. he hit the deer in the jaw about 2" under the eye. it died and we recovered it. but i was ticked off at him. to take a shot like that just because you want to kill something so bad is stupid. aim for the heart lung area.

Back