• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from New Zealand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined after I figured out I had probably read nearly all the threads in the flintlock section, so I better join up....

I am mostly a hunter here in NZ, packpack hunting for red deer in our mountains. I have a lot of bolt modern (and vintage) rifles, but I had a Pedersoli flintlock for a while a few years ago, which I enjoyed shooting a great deal although I only took it hunting once (shot a possum).

I ended up wrecking that rifle. I read about "loading for bear" and loaded the .50 cal "Kentucky" rifle with two balls. It worked just fine. Both balls landed within an inch of each other at 55 yards. I decided this would be just the thing for big roaring stags up close, which can be pretty big animals. So I decided to so it again, This time, because of fouling, I couldnt seat the second ball down. It got stuck.

I have been fooling people for years, them thinking I had some intelligence to my thinking, but the truth is I avoid that mostly out of dumbness. So, not taking it home from the range, or trying to find the proper tools for pulling a ball, or doing very much problem solving at all, I decided to shoot it out.

No sooner thought of then done. So that blew the barrel asunder at the muzzle end, and I had to cut four inches off the barrel, which was no fun at all, and the rifle never shot the same ever again. Looking back in truth I can't help but feel partly responsible.

I did wonder if I should ever get another flintlock again, perhaps I dont have the personality for it. But I love them so. I always looked at pictures of them in magazine since I was a kid. I am 53 years old now, so I thought I should try again. Me an my father always liked the old long rifles but never got into it seriously because over here the muzzleloading world is pretty small. We have no muzzleloader season for example. (We have no seasons at all actually). The old man is from Georgia so he always interested me in American hunting rifles and suchlike. We also love lever action rifles. He is getting too old too shoot now, so he has to listen to me telling about it.

Anyway, I have a southern mountain style rifle coming down to me next week, I think its made from a kit from Pecontanica River Valley supply, its an iron mounted rifle with a 42 inch barrel in .50 cal and curly maple. It looks pretty. Hopefully its got a good lock. My plan it to do a little simple carving on it, maybe put a silver star on the buttstock, and then drag it through the mountains and wear it out shooting red deer, chamois, tahr and elk. Starting with some hares! Basically I will use it on everything.

I see I have written an essay. I hope I might ask some questions of experienced members once I get the new rifle. Obviously now and then (as above) I am in need of some wise counsel...

Welcome.
My kids are around your age, so I guess I'm contemporary with your father. I've only hunted with muzzleloaders for around 40 years now, but I still have my modern guns, too. I don't do much hunting anymore, but I still like to amble into the woods near home and try for a deer every year. I have a grandson nearby who I can call and get him to drag it home for me. Unfortunately, he doesn't hunt. At least he is a good fishing buddy!

Welcome from an Aussie flintlock hunter.

Glad your back on the flint train, don’t fret, a 50 cal ball will put down a red stag pretty easily if it goes into the right spot. I mostly hunt with a 54, red stags go down fast using cast balls.

Where in Aus are you? (Im also an aussie citizen) Im not worried about using a .50 round ball though, I think it will be fine out to 100 metres. I just wanted to try loading for bear and if it was doable then I would do it! I have shot deer with a .222 and black powder .44-40 too.

G'day from another Aussie Flintlock shooter!! I have many fond memories of my trips to NZ to attend the Waiouru Mountain Man Shoot back in, used to fly out of Oz every Boxing day for a couple of years.

Back