• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from New Zealand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill! I had to give away my last levergun, my eyes cant make out the front sight anymore on a carbine and a scope is not right. I pushed the button on a 26 inch octagonal barreled Win 94 a while back - but it had already been sold so it came to nothing.
This is one of the other reasons I am getting another long rifle - because I will be able to see the sights to shoot it.

Well another Kiwi hunter & very frank ,While the glory days of many getting into Muzzle loading mostly thanks to Tony Hawkins offerings ''Got to get the jokers shooting '' to quote him .may have past there are still bods like me shootings MLs and hunting with them. Some might have done more bush miles than Thomas Brunner & Ekehu me among them . Partly responsible ? perhaps a tad more ? but I admire your frankness .Since 1968 when I was culling in the Uraweras Iv'e only hunted with MLs or mostly . I did hunt with a bow and once a WR Improuved Martini in No 2 Musket .heavy brute !,Now I like light guns my pet being a 50 cal Flint rifle made to be 5 pounds mid 18th English provincial though I have made long rifles but the only one I used was in Canada and I was fitter then .Well welcome indeed ,where abouts ? Ime Nelson way theirs a few worthys Top end shoot MLs ,from the listed tally your well south of me . Don't know if I can muster much in the' wise council department' but I never had a gun blow up on me so might have a few clues & over the years in various country's have made over 200 guns only one a breach loader & that was a' Turn Off 'Flint rifle .great idea shot hard but too fiddley to reload in the bush (Never catch on!).
I think Southern mountain is useually plain jane I stocked up an old barrel and made one 40 cal new might been one other with an iron lid tool box I forget ( Ime pushing 80 your allowed too.)so that's two or three I suppose but I only made three with a new barrel. a patron brought in the Rice brl & suitable Stock blank to have me make a flint rifle' After' Peter ? Brong ..He's a keen hunter .Now the bsteds of the previous govt have made getting any thing in hard . But we have our Nicole so that rot might get Ar ed
Welcome to the forum .Regards Rudyard
Hi Rudyard, I started out in the Ureweras my old man used to hunt around Lake Waikaramoana. Saw my first deer shot there when I was eight. But I have been down hunting Fiordland for twenty years now. When I was younger I used to idolise the deer cullers

never too late to start down the right path you know 🙂
Quite right but its a slippery slope, Once on the flints its an addition that leads you to go to Snaphance's Miguelt's Wheellocks & then Matchlocks .Really serious cases have the shooter ( By then totally deranged ) trying Hande Gonnes ! Hmmm .
Rudyard who,s observed such things

Hi Rudyard, I started out in the Ureweras my old man used to hunt around Lake Waikaramoana. Saw my first deer shot there when I was eight. But I have been down hunting Fiordland for twenty years now. When I was younger I used to idolise the deer cullers
The hunts with the bow & the WR Martini where the other side Te Totara & Up Mimi to cut Whakataka ridge & down to Mariquiti on the lake edge but I worked up the Whakatāne spring 1968. mostly out of Junction. Ime stuffed now but I sure covered lots of bush miles nearest I got to Fiordland was my first Deer on the Routeburn, But I like the Port Graig shore & once went to Stewart Island after Virginia deer didn.t got one I recall some wit had put a lable on an old portable steam engine it said "Steam roller Used for rolling steam 18 O blob "or close to that " an amuseing nonsence later had a lot to do with steam engines Steam & Black powder are relate elliments .cant just push a button and expect results you got to jolly & Coax them to get the best results .
Regards Rudyard

Quite right but its a slippery slope, Once on the flints its an addition that leads you to go to Snaphance's Miguelt's Wheellocks & then Matchlocks .Really serious cases have the shooter ( By then totally deranged ) trying Hande Gonnes ! Hmmm .
Rudyard who,s observed such things
Please refrain, I do not need further temptation to part with money I don't have to spend!

I did consider a matchlock, but as I'm a hunter and not a target shooter it didn't feel as practical.

Please refrain, I do not need further temptation to part with money I don't have to spend!

I did consider a matchlock, but as I'm a hunter and not a target shooter it didn't feel as practical.
Well your quite right no body in his right mind would go hunting with a common Match lock.I used a snap Matchlock a 54 rifled when I hunted Deer & ferrol goats with My matchlock . But I did in UK hunt Wood pigeons & Rabbits with a common smooth bore M lock ,& we used it at Country Shows such as Chatsworth House they mashed the clays good as any gun used even over the belt 'driven' . I think its a mind set thing .In the matchlock days they hunted " Will & his Sunday Goose" ect . We take up MLs as challenge from the patent Breach loaders ( Nasty things noisy. dont .smell right . no invigorating smoke !.Quite unbecoming too & unworthy of the consideration of a Gentleman ) But even rat bags like me managed the M locks in many NZ bush miles . 7 day wanderings where no novelty if today due to global warming the same forested Mountains are steeper than they used to be. Me pushing 80 may have been something to account for a bit .
Reminising Rudyard

Well your quite right no body in his right mind would go hunting with a common Match lock.I used a snap Matchlock a 54 rifled when I hunted Deer & ferrol goats with My matchlock . But I did in UK hunt Wood pigeons & Rabbits with a common smooth bore M lock ,& we used it at Country Shows such as Chatsworth House they mashed the clays good as any gun used even over the belt 'driven' . I think its a mind set thing .In the matchlock days they hunted " Will & his Sunday Goose" ect . We take up MLs as challenge from the patent Breach loaders ( Nasty things noisy. dont .smell right . no invigorating smoke !.Quite unbecoming too & unworthy of the consideration of a Gentleman ) But even rat bags like me managed the M locks in many NZ bush miles . 7 day wanderings where no novelty if today due to global warming the same forested Mountains are steeper than they used to be. Me pushing 80 may have been something to account for a bit .
Reminising Rudyard
It’s all relative, my brothers and father are into long range rifles and thermal optics, they look at my flintlocks and laugh.

I’m 33 and have the body for hunting mountains, unfortunately with 3 kids and another on the way time is what I’m missing!

Latest posts

Back