• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from NJ

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGunz60

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all. Just signed up. Last time I was active as a muzzleloader was close to 40 years ago. I lived in northern NJ, where I fly fished for trout, and hunted whiteails and small game. The deer hunting was exclusively with BP. The net wasn't active then, but I had a .50 cal Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle, inspired by watching Redford in my teens use a Hawken at the movies, and a book by Sam Fadala to guide me. I later picked up a .32 flinter from Dixons and a .36 caplock from Cabelas for squirrel hunting and plinking but only shot each at the range a few times.

I relocated after college in the early 80s to the southern Jersey coast, where I became an avid waterfower (including a decoy carver) and saltwater fisherman. Fast-forward to present, on the eve of my retirement, and I'm hungry for the fishing and hunting of my youth. I may even get a fowling piece to hunt ducks with. I was at the gun fair in Kempton, PA this past weekend (surprised it wasn't at Dixons anymore!) and met some nice folks, got a few new supplies and a hefty dose of inspiration. I imagine I'll have a few questions as I get back into gear and look forward to making some new friends here.

Hello from central PA.
I lived in NJ for several years. Hunted a ton in the Pine Barrens.

Hello all. Just signed up. Last time I was active as a muzzleloader was close to 40 years ago. I lived in northern NJ, where I fly fished for trout, and hunted whiteails and small game. The deer hunting was exclusively with BP. The net wasn't active then, but I had a .50 cal Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle, inspired by watching Redford in my teens use a Hawken at the movies, and a book by Sam Fadala to guide me. I later picked up a .32 flinter from Dixons and a .36 caplock from Cabelas for squirrel hunting and plinking but only shot each at the range a few times.

I relocated after college in the early 80s to the southern Jersey coast, where I became an avid waterfower (including a decoy carver) and saltwater fisherman. Fast-forward to present, on the eve of my retirement, and I'm hungry for the fishing and hunting of my youth. I may even get a fowling piece to hunt ducks with. I was at the gun fair in Kempton, PA this past weekend (surprised it wasn't at Dixons anymore!) and met some nice folks, got a few new supplies and a hefty dose of inspiration. I imagine I'll have a few questions as I get back into gear and look forward to making some new friends here.
In case you ever need a true, old school gunsmith that understands muzzle loaders, Joe Winters on Rt. 30 White Horse Pike in Berlin has a shop. Winters Specialties. Grew up with a gunsmith dad, used to shoot N-NSA, works on modern and old guns.

Back