• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from southwest Ohio

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nodrama43

40 Cal
Reaction score
New member that started out with a T/C Renegade kit gun in the 70's. Still shooting side hammer guns with big conicals as the new stuff doesn't interest me. Just recently bought my first flint lock (LNIB T/C Hawken 50 cal) so I need to learn the ropes with it. Hoping this forum is a nice, laid back place where members respect each other. I am to old for the drama etc..

Welcome fellow Ohioan! I am retired now and just getting into shooting on the dark side! You will like it here. There are a couple of members that want to troll you, or will make personal attacks over nothing, but they are few, and rare. Ignor them. If they persist, you can click on the little bust of a person in upper right corner and put them on your ignor list. You won’t see their posts after that unless someone quotes them. You can also un-ignor them at any time if you want to give them a second chance.
Most members here are eager to share and very knowledgeable, and helpful. I am learning a lot the easy way here! If you ask a question you will usually get many reply’s. Choose the ones that make sense to you. If anyone suggests something truly dangerous, the other members will speak up, drama or not!
Most will admit it if they make a post that doesn’t add up, or could have been better stated or thought out.
If you post in a thread that is about period correct, or historically correct, and you bring non PC or HC into it, someone won’t like it, and they will state why.
I learned some of this by lurking, and some by my own misunderstanding of the forum basis and unwritten (at times) rules! At other times I was just out there somewhere late at night and opened a can of worms I didn’t intend to.
These guys are forgiving, if you a newbie, remind them of that and a simple Mae Culpa will get you back in their good graces. All of these guys have been in our newbie shoes on this forum at some time. Many here have been shooting, hunting, and building muzzle loaders for a lifetime.
There are some members that you will want to follow. They are always helpful, extremely knowledgeable, smart and tactful! Cowboy is one of them, along with Stumpkiller, Crewdawg445, Juice Jaws is a hoot! Zonie is a mathematical wizard, Grenadier1785 is very knowledgeable and helpful. Rat just makes me smile! Black Hand teaches me about the old ways! These guys are here to have fun, help others along their paths, and continue to learn.
If you mess up, as I did, and post in the wrong place, the moderators can and will move it for you.
You can also ask for their help, and contact them via a direct conversation.
There are many on this forum that are wiser than I, and much more knowledgeable. They are glad to help you.
I would suggest, as was suggested to me, that you read Paul V’s post in how to Articles called: FLINTLOCKS: How to Shoot them!
A great place to start.
You will be amazed at the craftsmanship of some of these guys! Some are pro grade photographers as well. There are machinists, gunsmiths, engravers, leather workers, just a boat load of talented people. I marvel at the dedication of some here who do things the old way as much as possible. There a lot of re-enactors, mountainmen (when work doesn’t get in the way), and of course guys like myself, who just want to have fun, and be safe!
You will be glad you found this forum. Enjoy!

Welcome from a fellow SW Ohio guy. Plenty of good info to be had around here.

Glad to have you here.

New member that started out with a T/C Renegade kit gun in the 70's. Still shooting side hammer guns with big conicals as the new stuff doesn't interest me. Just recently bought my first flint lock (LNIB T/C Hawken 50 cal) so I need to learn the ropes with it. Hoping this forum is a nice, laid back place where members respect each other. I am to old for the drama etc..

Hello neighbor! I live in Franklin, probably not too far from you. I'd be glad to teach you about flintlocks. How to prime, how to sharpen a dull flint, teach you the secret handshake, all that good stuff. contact me.

Back