• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Barrel Problem!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a JB 11 ga. smoothie with his barrel. I have hunted geese with it for about 5 years. No problems whatsoever. I do not see any barrel seam inside or out, but it doesnt mean it isnt there. I also jug choked the barrel and did not see a seam show up in the choked area either.

Journeyman, if I understand your question correctly you want to know two things.

#1 will the barrel fail because it is made from DOM Tubing, and

#2 In the event of a failure would it be better if the energy was vented upwards or downwards.

#1 if Mr Brown used a quality tubing, and properly proofed it, I personally, would use it. As to the seam visible on the top, what process did he use to antique it. When I make Damascus knife blades no pattern is visible in the steel after polishing till it has been acid etched, so I'm curious. (some Photos would help)

#2 I have looked at all the failures I could find online, DOM or otherwise.(some even showed the injuries) If it was me I think upwards and away would be better, perhaps not for the man beside me! This applies to any barrel failure in my opinion, but if others here have better data I would love to see it. All the failures I have seen online were the energy was vented downward through the forearm usually injured the hand and arm severely. I would love to run a test but my first battery of test did not fail on the seam, and I don't know how to predict where it will fail. Again if others have better data I would be delighted.

Razor

As said some photos would sure help. Some specs on the gun or at least the barrel would too.

Note: That lock is a JB special order edition of a left hand L&R English Queen Anne. It has a strange resemblance to a LH Siler. :confused: Honestly I was just happy to get anything.

It's been a good gun though.

My JB is one of his Carolinas with a 42" Straight octagonal to tapered round. I'm not sure if mine has a DoM Barrel or not. I know at times he used straight Colerain barrels and modified them. Mine looks like it may be a factory straight octagonal with the ring and tapered portion done by him.

There is no doubt his all round barrels are DOM as the whole barrel on his round barrel guns look "very homemade". As said the round portion of mine also looks "very homemade" but the octagonal portion looks professional.

What bore size is yours?
Is yours octagonal to round?
What loads do you shoot?

Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, could the line be a layout pencil line or scribe line that did not take finish for some reason?

I do not agree with the concept of proofing a gun I'm going to use. Mainly because I do not have X ray vision and even if I did I do not know if I could recognize potential failure. To me it only proves it did not give way on the proof load and may set up failure for a milder load on down the road IMHO.

We all have our comfort level but I would feel more comfortable with a remote fired long string gun in a tire shooter in a safe place realistic maximum test load instead of a crazy super duper proof.

I might consider removing the barrel and pulling the breech. I would check breech plug fit and makes sure the plug engages the inside face correctly. Look for fouling or gas leakage into the threads. This is a pretty basic but tedious skill any good gunmaker should master.

Honestly I should pull and inspect mine for obvious reasons so eloquently danced around in this thread.

If you do not like what you see, do not have faith in it regardless of what you see, or feel you have no business playing gun builder, contact someone like Bobby Hoyt and have him inspect or even possibly line the barrel before you scrap the gun.

If Bobby won't touch it with a ten foot pole, please pass that info along as he is an expert in his craft.

I will try to learn how to post some picture today after my daughter comes over. Also the finish was not applied by the builder but rather latter in the rebuilding by a trusted smith. As far as direction hot gases would escape , upward or downward is not an issue so much as it happening in the first place.I did check the inside of the barrel and no seam is apparent. The seam line may just be cosmetic , none the less it is an aggravating eyesore, but until I post pics it is just subjective. Also I do not want this post to degenerate into a bashing of anyone. I paid my money ,took my chances and let my frugal side of my nature make my purchase decision hence had I done my due diligence I would not be posting this to begin with. I really appreciate all of your inputs , so do not think I am rebuking anyone other than myself. You guys are great! Thanks

I will try to post tomorrow. My daughter got the Luddite squared away, but I need to wait till I am at work where my connection is better. I tried but my connection here At home is too slow. I live in the sticks and it is the price one pays for a quiet life. See you all tomorrow.

I bought a cheap 20 gauge pistol barrel from Dixie several years ago. It turned out to be a DOM barrel. It shoots fine. The problem was not with the barrel material, it was with the absolutely horrid installation of the breech plug. I had to completely rebreech the barrel before I would ever shoot it.

Excuse the poor photography. But when I got closer it was blurry. If you look close you can see the line.

I'm sorry, you are not going to like this...

I mean no malice, no sarcasm, just an honest opinion.

That is not an "aged finish". That is a "Relic/Wallhanger" finish.

Honestly it looks like the barrel spent two and half centuries at the bottom of the Savannah River. The reason you are able see the seam is whatever was used to "Age" the barrel has destroyed the outer integrity thus revealing the seam.
In my opinion since the barrel is questionable in the first place,the outer damage makes it unsafe.

In short, my opinion it's ruined.

Please take no offense but you trashed that barrel. The seam showed up because it was harder than the steel around it that was degraded by "browning" it. Id guess with boiling bleach.

That is what he did to it. He boiled it in bleach. I was told that it was an aged finish. The line then is not a fault line. I actually kind of like the look , I just do not like the the line. Will the finish weaken the barrel?

What he did was turn your barrel into a tomato stake!! :slap: you couldn't pay me to shoot that gun :surrender:. I agree that barrel is ruined.

For the record no offense was taken . I would rather have the truth and be safe than someone be afraid of offending me and say nothing. Well enough said, to the wall above the fireplace. Many thanks

Im thankful, no offense was intended. But that barrel is Bubbaed bad. What does the inside of that barrel look like. An aged finish is 10 years not 200 in a manure pile. No one carried a gun this old 200 years ago it would have looked new.
I would advise strongly not to shoot it.

Barrel is shiny and new . I have actually shot this with the finish ,but no longer. I have to be honest all joking aside the original finish was horrible . At least I have learned a valuable tho expensive lesson. I also now have friends to ask. When this started I was alone.not anymore. Thanks

Back