• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help I need fun shoot ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaylynn

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This year my father and his friend are segundo and bushway for the Tooele Ut Rendezvous and I would like some ideas for fun shoots so we could possibly do smoething diffrent this year. The more the better since we have next year too.

Drive spikes into logs with round balls at 30 yards.

Cut a post down with the least amout of shots.

Shooting relays: timed shots.

If you have access to a tennis ball pitching machine, set it in the woods (SHOOTING BACK AT YOU) as you shoot at targets... See how well of a shot you are while being shot at... (that's why you use tennis balls)

Squirting Skunk,

This is probably too late for this year but you might use it next year. Go to www.muzzleblasts.com. Click on "past issues". Scroll down to "vol.4 no.5 (Oct/Nov 1999). look at the article "A rifleman's turkey shoot". I hope these ideas help.

tommy b

Hey Squirtin' Skunk,
Another fun shoot is to take a balloon and blow it up about the size of a human head and sit a tin cup or some other similar size target on top of it and see who can shoot the target and not the balloon. Another one is an egg on a string and see who can cut the string. Also some kind of gong for a longshot target is great. We use a Turkey target at 200 yds. and a metal Buffalo at 400 yds. that really seperates the shooters from the wannabes.

Pahu Aska

Cut horizontal slits in a stick and put playing cards in those slits. Your shooters are now trying to cut a card that is vertually laying flat. I haven't been fortunate enough to do it myself, but it has been done!

Hey double s,
Might want to try a paint can (tin can) shoot. Hang a tin can at twenty yards so she holds straight. Idea is to put a RB thru one side and have'er stay in the can. Lot harder than you'd think. Good way to help defray expences is by charging .25 or .50 cents per shot. Winner gits braggin' rights or prize.

Went to a smooth bore shoot yesterday. The group putting it on had everyone pick up AOL cds that you get free in stores then they mounted them on a piece of plywood that had been painted orange. Now the cds were mounted like this
only almost touching up and down and sidways. The idea was to shoot and NOT hit a cd. Not alot of room in the spaces between. This shot produced a lot of groans, which is usually an indication you got everyone attention.

Would that work with Britiney Speers CD's?
grin.gif

I would be fun to shoot BARNEY VCR tapes like sheet too, but our kids would have a fit.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Here is one we shot at at the Bucksnort Rendezvous last spring: stick your tomahawk in a log with the handle pointed up in the 12 o'clock position. Carefully place a charcoal briquet on the end of the handle. Now back off about 15 steps and try to break the briquet without touching the handle.

Another I like is to place a large gong at about 25 yards. Then, hang eggs from a string at various distances and heights all along the way back to the shooting line. This is best done in a woods where there are various limbs etc to tie the eggs to. Object of the shoot is to line an egg up with the gong. Hits are only counted if both the egg and gong are hit with the one shot. Another way of scoring is 10 points for the egg-10 points for the gong- and 25 points for both with the same shot.

Twoshadows: Ta quote ye "...stick your tomahawk...".
Ah'm a notin that yer a wantin someone else ta be a usin their 'hawk. I'd a been a lot happier if'n ye would have said "...stick my tomakawk..." !

Ah thin the 'hawk might not throw too good wit the handle ful o hols when thar a don with it.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
Ah thin the 'hawk might not throw too good wit the handle ful o hols when thar a don with it. Would that make it a "SWISS" tomahawk?
rolleyes.gif

"Sorry collani and juerg."

'Zonie...I musta had muh tung over muh eyetooth 'n cuddent see whut I wuz sayin. To clarify...we wuz ast to stik our own 'hawk in tha block....thet way we had tha option uv turnin chicken 'n shootin high, er go testtickles to tha wall 'n try ta hit tha dang brikett. I wuz specully skeert cause i wuz usin muh fightin ax wif tha fancy doodad on tha handle. I aint gonna lissen ta no "puck puck puckack" whin ah wawk by, so's I shot hi ez I cud...even a blind hog gits a acorn onct in a while....I hit thet brikett jest rite! Yudda thunk I wuz a peecock tha way I strutted after thet shot. Hit all evened out on tha next station tho....I missed a throw wif tha ax an had ta wade in plum up past muh goonads ta get muh ax out uv tha creek.

quote:Originally posted by TwoShadows:
Carefully place a charcoal briquet on the end of the handle. Now back off about 15 steps and try to break the briquet without touching the handle.Can we place a bag of charcoal briquets on the handle...
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

You would have a more spectacular "HIT"...

Is there a size limit on that chunk o' coal? Pa used to get some pretty big chunks for our furnace and I was a thinkin' if'n ya got a BIG chunk and only backed off say 2 maybe 3 feet....
shocked.gif

Another shooting idea...

Suspend a barrel (55 gallon drum will do nicely) like a hammock to simulate a horse.

Mount up and shoot at standard targets while rocking and swaying to-and-fro...

Not as easy as from a stationary rest...

Or, just riddle the 55 gallon drum with roundballs and call it a day...

how about buying an inline and charging people to shoot it ( I mean shoot at it) sorta like we do with jap bikes at harley rodeos plastic stocks really frag with a fifty or fifty four ball wacks em
weasel

Weasel, don't tell me u are scooter trash too! Have you ever been to the Japanese Hanging Gardens in South Daytona? Quite a site to see. I still get to run with some of the crowd over around Grand Rapids and around Marquette. I think I saw you one time at Milwaukee....wasn't you wearing a black tee shirt? hehehehehe..

One way to use old cd or dvds is at 25 yards and see who can put three ball though the center with out hitting the cd.

"One way to use old cd or dvds is at 25 yards and see who can put three ball though the center with out hitting the cd."

Yep. Went plumb through the center. Ye don't see a mark on the CD do ye?

Hows about Necco wafers at 15 yards (25 if you're mean). Groove a bunch of 3/4" X 3/4" pine with a table saw 3/16" deep and stick the wafers in the kerf. Make a rack big enough to hold 50 wafers (5 rows of 10). Best string of broken wafers wins the kitty, or 5 in a row wins a prize, etc. Hit the wood hard enough to break the rack and you're disqualified (have lots of spare cut strips on hand). Great practice for squirrel head-shots.

Clay pidgeons at 50 yards is good, too.

Back