• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID a gunmaker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco219

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to all, I am new to the site and hoping you all can help me. I have in my possession a nice reproduction of an early Lancaster style longrifle. The previous owner inherited the gun and had no use for it, so I got it right. All he knew was that it was made in 1975 and that his relative shot black powder matches with it. It is very good work and the script name on the barrel is L. Sanchez. I have found reference to a Lew Sanchez as a carver and engraver on contemporary replicas, could this be the same man ? If so is he still alive to authenticate his work? Any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks.

Lew Sanchez has passed away; I understand that he was an excellent longrifle builder. Perhaps the Contemporary Longrifle Association has some info on him. I'd love to see a picture of your rifle.

I will admit I don't know how to post a pic, but I did email the CLA and expext to hear from them tomorrow. I will recruit my 11 year old to help me with pictures. I forgot to mention the gun also has the beautiful Sitting dove/pigeon patchbox. This is a take-off from the patchbox of a famous colonial gun, I just can't remember the builder. Anyone have the answer ?

John Lechner of the York, PA area. Beautifully engraved Pbox. Kindig's book..."Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age" has a write up and photo of his LR starting on p. 322.....Fred

Loco,

Some of the guys that frequent the Americanlongrifles site should be able to identify it as Lew's work or not if you can get a picture posted there. I bet Bob Harn would know right off.

Lew Sanchez was an artist of the first degree. In the 1970's he was among the elite builders pushing the boundaries of what fit within the context of the American longrifle. In longrifles, he did work of European quality in the American vein. Certainly he belongs with John Bivins, Larry Mrock, Monte Mandarino and others who really understood the roots of the American longrifle and brought "new school" standards of execution to the forefront.

I would like to thank everyone for their info., With all the data I have gathered I am quite sure Lew Sanchez was the builder. Its not easy to explain, but this gun "feels" like a period piece. It is Early Lancaster in form, with subtle hints of "York". We are taking and posting the pics. Saturday. As a side note, our Flintlock deer season starts Dec. 26, and this piece of american artwork will be hunting, undoubtedly for the first time.

Update ! I have had this rifle authenticated, it was built by Sanchez in 1975. The customer was a North Carolina gentleman who paid $3200.00 for it, his name witheld by request. As stated, it is nothing short of gorgeous ! My problem, I can't post pics. Is someone willing to post pics for me if I can email them to you ? Also, a previous post names the patchbox pattern as one in Kindigs book, is it possible for someone to post a pic of that patchbox to see how close it is to the one on my rifle? I actually took it out hunting Tuesday, and everyone who saw the gun loved it.

Thanks to Mike Brines for helping me with posting pics. This is the Sanchez rifle I have been discussing;
024.jpg

I don't know how to do more than one pic at a time, so this is just a taste, a view of the patchbox. All the brass furniture on the gun is hand cast, and slight imperfections were left, I beleive on purpose by Mr. Sanchez. Enjoy !

OK I got the pics figured out, now I am excited to get some feedback from you all. This is what I have learned: Brass is all hand cast and filed to fit, wood is scraped not sanded, finish is period type, "school" is Lancaster, carving and engraving is well executed. Does this rifle bring to mind any one historic maker ?

Back