• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID + Condition Please - Pedersoli Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
- Help ID'ing this Rifle Please? It looks like it is a Pedersoli Pennsylvania model to me.

- Help, Condition, of the bore.. Will it need re-sized or replaced, or simply a good cleaning?

- How much is this realistically worth? If needing barrel resize or replaced is it worth doing, or simply sell and move along?

Thank you for any help and suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_20240726_133224.jpg
    IMG_20240726_133224.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240726_133221.jpg
    IMG_20240726_133221.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240726_133208.jpg
    IMG_20240726_133208.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240726_133227.jpg
    IMG_20240726_133227.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240726_133341.jpg
    IMG_20240726_133341.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
Don't know why people are so touchy about drag marks; it's not like it's a mint Python in a sealed box or anything:) or an original Colt antique.
Yeah I'm not a collector by any means. I shoot and use everything I own. So wear doesn't bother me. The barrel rest is of course a bad omen for it. But if it can be brought back to life with either just a great cleaning, or even a rebore or rebarrel. I'm open to it.

Model is either a Pedersoli cub or scout. I think the cub is specific to Dixie (at least that's where I've seen it new). Barrel may clean, depends how long the rust has been at work. Valve grinding compound will take the rust off and maybe smooth it out a bit. Just don't go too aggressive on the grit. No way to know till you start scrubbing.

Some pretty nasty looking barrels can clean up and perform quite well on target. If the bore is pitted after all the cleaning, it will still shoot, but fouling will build up quickly. Cleaning procedures while shooting will keep you on the firing line. You won't really know until the bore has been cleaned to the best it can be cleaned.

I just got a CVA plainsman in a trade deal that had a rusty bore that looked like it had been shot and never cleaned. Used valve polishing compound and green scratch pads and it shoots good enough I don't think I am going to rebore it. I was thinking about making it a smoothbore for small game.

My first thing would be can you get the nipple and clean out screw removed? that would give you a better idea of what condition the breech is in. Then clean the bore good, Wrap some 0000 steel wool on a cleaning jag and run it back and forth about 50 times. Not a lot of time or money invested in doing this but might make a big difference in what it is worth

The only way you are going to tell the usefulness of the bore is by cleaning it and shooting it. Use the valve paste as others have suggested. The main thing at this point is getting the firing channel/nipple up to snuff. That may be more of an issue than the bore.

I have seen lots and lots of bad looking bores in a lt of different kinds of rifles, and more often than not, with some cleaning and TLC they shoot OK.

If it were me and after cleaning the bore still looked like a sewer pipe I would strip it down and send it to Mr. Hoyt. and have him punch it to .54 smooth bore. Heck for around 75 bucks you would have a shooter. And out to 50 yards a smoothie will surprise you. Well ifn it has a rear sight it will. Just my .02

If it were me and after cleaning the bore still looked like a sewer pipe I would strip it down and send it to Mr. Hoyt. and have him punch it to .54 smooth bore. Heck for around 75 bucks you would have a shooter. And out to 50 yards a smoothie will surprise you. Well ifn it has a rear sight it will. Just my .02
How much would it be to have it smooth bored or redone rifled? Thank you! I appreciate the feedback

Back