• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying this civil war dagger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought this 30-40 years ago. 11” blade, brass handle, on one side it says, U.S., S.L., 1864; on the other you can just make out half of Chicopee, I believe Mass. Might be a Musician’s dagger with the knuckle guard removed.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Bought this 30-40 years ago. 11” blade, brass handle, on one side it says, U.S., S.L., 1864; on the other you can just make out half of Chicopee, I believe Mass. Might be a Musician’s dagger with the knuckle guard removed.
Looks like a cut down Musician's Sword. Ames Mfg. Co., Chicopee Mass.

Nice spot! I wonder if it was repurposed after an accident broke the blade?

LD
Don’t know, but I have to say, whoever repurposed it did a great job on the reformation of the pointed end. It holds a sharp edge and the blade groove blends perfectly with the point. The only grinding marks are near the brass handle. One of the oddities is, the sheath was used to test its sharpness, various shallow cuts and one slice about 1 1/2” long thru the full thickness of the leather.

Don’t know, but I have to say, whoever repurposed it did a great job on the reformation of the pointed end. It holds a sharp edge and the blade groove blends perfectly with the point. The only grinding marks are near the brass handle. One of the oddities is, the sheath was used to test its sharpness, various shallow cuts and one slice about 1 1/2” long thru the full thickness of the leather.
Sounds more like an "oops wrong angle" when putting the dagger back into the sheath. :oops:

LD

Back