• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying this half stock plains Hawkins style 60cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tang sight alone could be worth a big chunk of the offered price.
I agree. Gather more info; check the bore condition; look for marks on or under the barrel (which might give clue to the maker and age.If you post detailed pictures of the lock, barrel, trigger (guard & mechanism);& the other metal parts, someone here is bound to see a detail that can give your search a direction.

How long have you had it? did you/do you fire it? Where (geographically) did you get it, or is it a family heirloom?

In your place, I would figure doubling the offer as a starting point for establishing a value. It may be high, but better than low balling yourself.

An Ohio gun was suggested. You might post a query w/ the Ohio Longrifle Collectors Association. (I'm not sure of their actual title but there's an active, knowledgeable group, which links to this group occasionally.) They shouldn't be hard to find.

$400 is a lowball offer in my opinion. Guessing someone knows what you have and is looking for a deal.

Get some values from real appraisers before setting a price. And if an appraiser offers to buy the gun or knows someone who would buy it, move along to another appraiser.

You may want to contact Track of the Wolf. They will likely give an offer to buy the gun outright at ‘wholesale’ or will sell it on consignment. Probably a chunk of money less than you could get for it in the right setting, but you will at least have a bottom dollar value.
Thanks so much for all the information. I did find on the bottom of the barrel Muzzy & Co so I am looking into this.

Attachments

• 77481921-152A-43D9-B1E0-2B87BF670341.jpeg
    77481921-152A-43D9-B1E0-2B87BF670341.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I know Muzzy & Co made guns in the 1800s so you have an original which should be worth a lot more that the offered $400. If it were mine I would have it appraised. I have seen them go for several thousand at auction.
Edit add info from auction site.
"The sporting guns were manufactured by Muzzy & Co. of Worcester, Massachusetts, in the late 1850s to around 1861. Morse later supplied arms to the Confederacy. All of the Morse firearms are very, very rare and seldom even seen,"

Don't know about the rifle but the tang sight is a Sharps sporting tang with the adjustable slider for windage. Both the sight and base are on backward. The sight and base could easily be more than $400.

I know Muzzy & Co made guns in the 1800s so you have an original which should be worth a lot more that the offered $400. If it were mine I would have it appraised. I have seen them go for several thousand at auction.
"The sporting guns were manufactured by Muzzy & Co. of Worcester, Massachusetts, in the late 1850s to around 1861. Morse later supplied arms to the Confederacy. All of the Morse firearms are very, very rare and seldom even seen,"
You have been very very helpful and appreciate you so much.
You have been amazingly helpful. Thanks so much.

I’m trying to figure out now how to edit the post

it looks to have been set up as a target rifle. I would look at the rifling. During the period this was made there was a lot of experimenting with shooting bullets. Would be interesting to see if it has a shallow groove fast twist to use bullets.

I’m trying to figure out now how to edit the post
Nothing to edit on your part. This is NOT a FOR SALE thread, and anyone offering $400 for your gun you should put on ignore. They are trying to take advantage of you and your lack of knowledge about this particular gun. And it is your lack of knowing that brought you to ask about the gun, not to be taken advantage of, but to learn.

One more thing on the thought of ‘editing’ your post, you may want to ask a moderator, @Loyalist Dave for example, to move this thread from Flintlock to Percussion Sub Forum, as it is obviously not a flintlock. Or maybe to the Firearm Identification Sub Forum, thought it may get more traffic in the Percussion Sub Forum.

Try Amos again
Nothing to edit on your part. This is NOT a FOR SALE thread, and anyone offering $400 for your gun you should put on ignore. They are trying to take advantage of you and your lack of knowledge about this particular gun. And it is your lack of knowing that brought you to ask about the gun, not to be taken advantage of, but to learn.

One more thing on the thought of ‘editing’ your post, you may want to ask a moderator, @Loyalist Dave for example, to move this thread from Flintlock to Percussion Sub Forum, as it is obviously not a flintlock. Or maybe to the Firearm Identification Sub Forum, thought it may get more traffic in the Percussion Sub Forum.
thanks again. Nobody on this site has offered to buy. I reached out to a gun collector on line who offered $400 that I am ignoring at this point.

I knew I had some info on Muzzy & Co. here is the pdf article I have saved. Interesting read. Took me a while to find it.
I for one really appreciate the article and I hope the OP does as well ....... and reading it several times over. It takes a lot of research to pin down the actual maker of the guns we acquire. You just handed the OP a great deal of history on the manufacture of his gun. THANKS, bpd.

I for one really appreciate the article and I hope the OP does as well ....... and reading it several times over. It takes a lot of research to pin down the actual maker of the guns we acquire. You just handed the OP a great deal of history on the manufacture of his gun. THANKS, bpd.
It doesn’t appear the made the many of the model I have. From what I see on the chart looks like just 100 were made over this few years in the 1850s.

I don't think it is right to condemn someone for making a low ball offer. I was told many years ago by a mentor that there is 3 prices for everything. There is the price you want to pay for the item. Then there is the price I want to get for the item. Then there is the price that we decide you will pay for it. I personally have a fourth price, The I don't really want to sell it price.

I bought my home 10 years ago. It was an estate sale that had been on the market for a year so the real estate agent suggested making a low ball offer to see if they would come down on the price, well they took the offer. I don't feel guilty about that because I was prepared to pay a lot more than I did. If you have someone who has made an offer then make a counter offer and see how much they really want the rifle.

I would not be in a rush to sell it for $400. Let some people see this post, maybe post more pics, look for identifying marks, and pics of the bore.

Your half-stock rifle might be worth more or less. I'm interested, but need more info. Are there any markings? Maker? Location of maker?
How's the physical condition? Everything works? Except? How's the bore? Length?

Your half-stock rifle might be worth more or less. I'm interested, but need more info. Are there any markings? Maker? Location of maker?
How's the physical condition? Everything works? Except? How's the bore? Length?
Maker located at bottom of barrel on underside after removing it from stock that’s where it was. Length I though I said 30 1/4in barrel - stock in great shape and barrel good too needs a good cleaning side lock plate good and hammer / trigger work. From what I could tell looking into barrel bore seemed clean. I wasn’t quite sure how to remove the nipple / plug

Latest posts

Back