• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me find my next fowler!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I currently own only one flintlock - my beloved .62 Caywood Type "C". I purchased this gun used, but in near new condition, from TOTW in 2005. I've carried it on many a turkey hunt since then, at home in Ontario and through 3 States. I love my Caywood. It's showing wonderful wear and aging, all put there by myself. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with my Caywood but for some reason, I have a real hankerin' to add another smoothie to my cabinet. I don't have the skill, tools, or patience (3 strikes! :redface: ) to build my own gun, so I am looking at reasonably priced options.

I'm strictly a turkey and small game hunter. I'd prefer another .62, but would certainly consider a larger bore. I want a gun that is not too heavy and am leaning toward a 36" barrel on this one to make it just a little handier. I've been keeping any eye on the TOTW used gun listings as that worked great for me first time around, and was right at the edge of ordering a Fowler from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (Natchez, MS). I really like the look of the TVM guns, and there FB/web presence is good. I know there are numerous other options out there, but I'm finding it very hard to decipher much else from my computer. I'm certain there are dozens of very talented gun makers who do not have websites or any fancy marketing so I thought I'd put this up to see what other suggestions come up. Thanks!

Jackie brown is very reasonable.ya won't have to take out a second mortgage or sell a kid to get one of his

Agree with you on a Brooks Fowler,He built one for me which is a beauty.16ga stocked with Oregon Walnut.His workmanship is boardering on unbelievable.Of course you'll need to be patient took just shy of 18mos to get my "retirement gun"

I love my Mike Brooks Carolina gun. Handles like a dream and unbelievable how light it is.

Yup. You can't go wrong with one of Brook's Carolina guns. I waited over 2 years for mine. It's the best clay bird shooter I own. Reasonably price, too.

Brooks_001.jpg

I shoot a lot, so my choice was a 28 bore with a .526 ball at 33 balls to the lb. of lead vs. my 20 bore at 22 balls to the lb.

For turkey I use the 20 ga.

StaggerW: Yep, thanks. The credit goes to Mike Brooks. He makes a beautiful gun. All I did was tell him what I wanted - after Grinslade's New England fowler #9.
Pete

Shorter? I'd go longer ... a club butt musket of minimum 48" barrel in 62 or 65-caliber!

I have a 60" barreled 75-cal Dutch club butt that is actually lighter in the hand than my 54" barreled 65-cal French fusil de boucanier.

Robins fowler...kit from Dunlaps wood products...
10 ga. rice 42" bbl same profile as 12 ga. only lighter..oct-round tapered and flared..
early ketland chambers lock
Maple
Black horn cap..
Great balance..very woods handy.
steel trim....
raised front sight
use the tang screw slot as a rear aiming point.

39f790a5-3816-468d-9e3c-a7412541fa0c_zpsvgw374by.jpg

IMG_00111_zps5cd6fd07_1.jpg

Lots of boys here like going bigger. In terms of ml vs the sort of game we hunt nothing is gained by going 16,12 or 10. Contrary to John Wayne, you cant have 'too much gun', but you can have too little. How ever 20,24 and 28 will make turkeys, bambi and thumper just as dead as 12s and 10s. A NWG or a poor boy fowler are about the best looking fusil/fowler there are with the NWG chiefs grade close behind, IMHO(that with a couple of dollars will get you a cup of starbucks).
As you can see from above photos a bigger gun can look right sharp, and will answer to any thing you ask it to do. I do find it easier to cast good smaller ball then bigger.

Yeah, I'm still thinking .62 smoothie and leaning toward a TVM fowler. I'm hesitating though because TVM didn't reply to my last e-mail, so I sent it again and when they replied they only answered 1 of my 4 questions. That doesn't make me feel too comfy about their service, but their guns seem to get good reviews. As for Mike Brooks, I don't ever see myself putting my name on an 18 month waiting list, no matter how good the product may be.

So I'm not really making any movement on this right now. It's very disappointing that flintlock fowlers are so hard to obtain.

I sympathize with you Baron I'm here in Ontario as well and have been shopping for a fowler for about 8 months.Seems like unless your willing to settle with a pedersoli Indian trade(and most gun shops have to order those in) You have to order across the border pay the exchange and hope it clears customs with no issues.

Latest posts

Back