• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me spend my money

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the looks of the 1860 colt design but i like stainless steel. Does anyone make a stainless 1860?

I had a line on one but didn't want to spend that much but you guys made me do it.....
Excellent choice. Now at the risk of becoming an out cast save some coin and eventually add a conversion cylinder in either 45C or 45ACP or both. Now it’s the only revolver you will ever need for what ever task you need it for. 😁

Excellent choice. Now at the risk of becoming an out cast save some coin and eventually add a conversion cylinder in either 45C or 45ACP or both. Now it’s the only revolver you will ever need for what ever task you need it for. 😁

Where do i look for the extra cylinders?

On line, Kirst Konverter or Howells, as well as most distributors of black powder guns have them. Just type in ROA conversion cylinder into you search engine.

I have both in 45C and 45ACP, one of my stainless ROA’s was acquired with out a percussion cylinder so it’s out fitted with the two stainless conversion cylinders in both cartridges. The 45ACP is a very accurate round in the ROA.

BTW be careful this business is addictive. 😁

Just be aware of state laws if you do a cartridge conversion. At the federal level it becomes a regular firearm requiring 4473 etc. if you sell it with the conversion cylinder

I think you maade the right choice. I had one for years and never had a problem (except once a year nor so when I put it all disassembled into the dishwasher for a seriously deep cleaning. Wife objected.)

Ruger Old Army?

Seems to me if you want a powerhouse accurate cap and ball that is the ticket. Most the guys here seem to prefer the 1860 Army or 58’ Remington. Me personally, I’m a 3rd Mod Dragoon guy sorta. I’m looking for a “Hawken” styled 54 at the moment.

JMHO

RM
3rd model dragoon man here as well, being 6'4" and weighing 190 to 200 lbs makes it a nice belt pistol with some punch.

As most ROA owners may know a word of caution on the loading lever arrangement. It’s easy to have the cross bolt screw that locks the base pin in the wrong position and bend said base pin when it backs out while ramming a ball or bullet into the chamber. I’ve done it, fortunately it’s east to straighten as it bends right at the indent.
Base pins are available from Belt Mountain.

Ditto on the 1st model Dragoon I own. With a 29” inseam and no assatall to keep the belt up I’d need to put walnuts in my back pockets to keep the muzzle from dragging on the ground.
Hi-plains drifter, the Preacher, and one or 2 other Eastwoods are all the same movie! Much like the dirty harry ones; we've all had fun watching them over the years!

Back