• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The patches are pretty rough...Some "cuts", Lots of fray's. Not really burnt though.

There are several possible problems. First, your patch material may be manure. If it ain't tough it's just not going to work. Second, your patch is being damaged when you load it due to an abrupt or sharp crown. A good looking crown can still cut your patch. Third, your lands have sharp edges and are cutting the patch. This is less likely since TC barrels are button rifled and are usually pretty smooth straight from the factory.

Go to Joannes fabrics and get some #40 cotton drill and try that with both .530 and .535 balls. Don't worry too much about the lube.

I'm not going to get into how to crown your barrel cause I don't want to get blamed for screwing it up :haha: Suffice to say that the crown should be gradual and at the point right at the muzzle the lands should be evenly worked down to match the groove depth.

Patches, even dry unlubed patches, don't usually simply burn unless they are of a very inferior quality material. The burning happens after the crown or the bore has caused enough shredding to allow gas to pass freely around the ball. If your patches are sliced and diced but not burned, then you can be sure that if you run up to 110 grains of powder or so they will get burnt! :)

Like was said, fraying is ok around the edges of the patch but not ok if it happens at the point where the ball meets the bore. If your patches edges are fraying all the way to the point of ball bore contact, then you are not starting them deep enough before cutting at the muzzle or if pre cut they are not big enough. Get your ball at least 1/4 inch down the bore before cutting the patch.

I think someone mentioned that you you may want to ball up and patch down this often works better with guns that have shallow rifleing ( no where for the patch to go) get a bunch more shots thru her as well I used to figure 200 shots thru a new barrel before I was ready to get serious about a combo and load, try real BP or the pyro pistol as suggested, unless you got a lemon( very unlikely) the gun will come in and should do well with ball out to 100 yds both in power and accuracy, quit typin' and get out there and make some smoke dude :) ps, good choice taking the PRB path for hunting, the closer to a true traditional rig you use the better the feeling when it all comes together.

Back