• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Selecting a New Rifle (Cap vs Percussion, and more)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Advice and recommendations

I currently have a Lyman Deer Stalker .50 percussion I purchased in 2016, which I got a deer with in fall 2016. Prior to that I had a CVA Hawken .50 percussion model I had picked up at a gun show. Between the two I have had a much better time with the Deer Stalker. I was able to get the CVA sighted in, and it was very accurate, but not fire reliably. I believe the shape of the little barrel where the cap nipple sits is one of the issues with the CVA I had, not a direct channel to get the main charge to burn.

Hindsight, I would have purchased the Lyman GPR percussion in 2016 over the Deer Stalker. At the time I didn’t know I wanted to shoot only PRB, but after testing the rifle out with conical and PRB, that’s exactly what I want to do. I am able to get very good bench rest results at 50 yards with the Lyman, and softball size at 100 yards when I had the peep sight that I didn’t really care for. The Deer Stalker fiber optic sights and sight plane (due to short barrel) seem to be what are holding me back at 100y. I could change the sights out to something like the RMC V Peep, but that may not solve the issue due to the shorter sight plane. I’m not opposed to 1:48” based on my previous results with a 1:48” but have heard the 1:60” or 1:66” will do better with PRB. This brings me to my current issue.

What to do/buy next: Change out the sights or buy a new rifle? (maybe sell the Deer Stalker)

1. If I am buying a new rifle, the first question/issue is percussion vs flintlock.

One of the main driving factors I have in trying flintlock is the scarcity of caps that has developed since 2020. I have always been averse to flintlock because of all of the complaints I’ve read online. But the same can be said for percussion sidelocks in online commentary. Some flintlock folks have said after time and experience the flintlock can be very reliable. I would have to believe this is true given the success of the PA flintlock season. But the simplicity of the percussion is hard to ignore. My primary purpose for this new rifle will be target shooting and black powder meet ups. I may hunt with it eventually.

Any advice from experience between the two would be greatly appreciated.

2. The next question, which rifle? Looking for .50 cal to shoot PRB.

The good news is, there seems to be a flintlock and percussion version of all rifles I am considering. I believe I am more interested in purchasing a completed rifle over a kit. Unless someone can make a strong reason why to buy a kit and not just do some of the work to improve the prebuilt completed rifle. I’m a little nervous about the spark on the Traditions percussion for similar reasons I had issues with the CVA mentioned above, where the Investarm has a better integrated percussions nipple. I’m not sure how the flintlock pan compares to the Investarm, from what I can tell, they seem similar. Prices are as of 10/9/2024.
  • Traditions Kentucky percussion 33.5” barrel, 1:66” twist - $469.99 MidwayUSA.com
  • Traditions Kentucky flintlock 33.5” barrel, 1:66” twist - $569.99 Muzzle-Loaders.com
  • Investarm Bridger Hawken percussion 28” barrel, 1:48” twist – 589.99 Muzzle-Loaders.com
  • Investarm Bridger Hawken flintlock 28” barrel, 1:48” twist – 639.99 Muzzle-Loaders.com
  • Investarm Gemmer Hawken percussion 32” barrel, 1:60” twist – 679.99 Muzzle-Loaders.com
  • Investarm Gemmer Hawken flintlock 32” barrel, 1:60” twist – 749.99 Muzzle-Loaders.com

The Bridger Hawken flintlock is $50 off currently and seems like a really good deal, though it has a slightly shorter barrel and 1:48” twist. This could be a good compromise of weight and barrel length. But the Gemmer Hawken flintlock might be exactly what I am looking for even though it is $110 more.

If flintlock is the way: $569.99, $639.99, & 749.99, $100~ difference for each step. I could wait and see if the Gemmer goes on sale at some point.

As you can see, I may be stuck in a bit of analysis paralysis. I would rather not look back 8 years later and regret my decision like I do with the Deer Stalker. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a quality rifle and shoots well, just doesn’t do exactly what I’m looking for and I noticed these faults in 2016/2017.

I'm looking forward to reading your advice and experience. Thank you.

-Tim

Edit: Muzzle-loaders.com has the kentucky flintlock kit for $429 until October 15th.. That's hard to pass up. Still looking for advice.

Last edited:
On the subject of rifling, the original Hawken is recognized as an accurate reliable rifle with its patent breech and 1/48” rifling. Modern shooters using the least expensive rifles have been critical of both these features. When you consider a flintlock the lock can not be short changed. Look at the price of good locks and you’ll see that $250 to $300 for just a lock. When you buy a rifle for less than $600 where are the manufacturers saving money? Barrel, wood, sights or other. Many people spend money on replacement locks, trigger, sights etc. That increases the price and the effort to get a rifle that fills the need. Buy the best you can once then enjoy it for life.

And of course, a lot depends on what your plans are for the longer term, any plans for reenacting, buy a lock that is suitable for the time frame of the events you plan to attend.

Mid to late 1700's is the time frame of interest for me so I am almost all flint.

Hunting only? A percussion may be your best choice for hunting in inclement weather.

Targets only? Depending on benchrest only or off hand... for benchrest a percussion may be better, I prefer a flint for off-hand.

Back