• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help .. TC buttstock heel too high!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Renegade percussion rifle with a 50 cal RB GM barrel that shoots great .. however ... I am like others here .. I would prefer a more pronounced drop at the heel of the buttstock .. as the TC is notorious for having a high placed cheekpiece .. it is harder for me to get my big fat face down low enuff to shoot comfortably. So with the TC buttstock measuring at about 1 7/8 inches drop... I need your help.

Questions are:

1. What is normal heel drop range of a "standard " half stock rifle as compared to a TC. There has got to be a better configuration out there.

2. I have looked at the Pecatonica replacement stocks for TC, but was told by them that the drop on them was not much more than the standard ... so what is the solution?

Should I go with a blank, having never done a complete carve job on a stock? Or are there other options out there?

I would appreciate any help or advice I can get on this amigos, as I like the weapon .. just not the high buttstock!

Thanx

Davy

My advise is to either bend the stock down or have it done. I have a feling I'm going to have to wright an article on this.

Davy, I have a Pecatonica stock for my Renegade. Put it together a couple of years ago and it seemed to make a diffrence to me. I find it easier to sight then the original stock.
On the other hand, Pecatonica can inlet another stock for the Renegade parts, one that would have a bit more drop. That might be costly though.

I reprofiled the comb on my T/C. I was able to lower the comb and still fair it into the butt plate smoothly. I also removed some wood from the cheek piece to create a little castoff. It is surprising how little wood removal is necessary to completely change the feel of the stock.

I assume we are talkin steaming the buttstock to bend and change the profile in this case .. rather than carving? What is the procedure and costs involved?

If carving Mr. Frizzen .. what was involved? Bringing down the front of the cheek piece and blending to the buttstock?

BTW pictures would be nice if you have them of a a finished carved or bent stock! :grin:

Also any body got any info who does this sort of work in Texas? Or anywhere for that matter?

Thanx

Davy :grin:

Davy, they use hot oil on rags under heat lamps on a jig. I have no idea what the going rate would be but would guess an hour or two. Uncrichie...

Bending a stock is not done best with steam. This is something you can do yourself. Wrap the wrist with rags that are soaked in linseed oil. Clamp the rear of the butt stock in a vise so that the barrel is sticking out front UN supported. Put a sunlamp on each side of the wrist close up. you want to heat the wrist up to about 400 deg. don't go off and leave it because when it starts to bend it will over bend quickly measure from the barrel to the floor to determine when to stop. When it gets to where you want it , ho;d it there by putting some support under the barrel. Take off the sunlamps and the rags and let the stock cool for about an hour. Then take a rag and some mineral spirits and wipe the oil from the stock.
It will stay that way for ever. the same stock can be bent this way at least four or five times. Don't be afraid just don't leave it . If the oil begins to smoke it is too hot. Just back off the lamps a little.
Shotguns worth many thousands of dollars are bent like this very often without the slightest problem. I learned the from two world renounced gunsmiths. It is a routine procedure with them. I have seen it done. It works.
PS. you might want to put a little castoff in there while yo uare at it.

Jerry -

Will this (hot linseed treatment) also tend to remove dents in the wood?

Well I'll be .. never heard of that before! I do not have any sunlamps ... do you know the wattage lamps required by chance? Perhaps big wattage bulbs would do it as well? How long does this process take?

Curious what the jig method would look like as well!

Thanx guys! Sounds doable fer sure! :grin:

Davy

I'm not sure why Pecatonica River said there is not much difference.
Their catalog says the drop is 3 inches!

I just measured the Pecatonica River TC Hawken stock on my TC and it measures 2.930 drop at the top of the buttplate. That is a pretty sizable increase over the standard TC Hawken stock.

IMO, the idea of bending the existing stock is just asking for trouble. Without the proper equipment, all I can see happening is for the stock to break at the wrist. :cursing:

The stock bending proceedure will not take out dents. I should have said heat lamps instead of sun lamps . You can get them at any hardware store even BI Mart. To take out dents you need to steam the dent. Steam will efect your finish and will leave the grain somewhat raised. Don't try to refinish until it is dried again. I use a wet rag and an old time large soldering iron for dents.

Zonie.
The guys in the custom gun makers guild have bent hundreds of them. I never heard of one of them breaking. Remember the method I described only uses the rifles own weight. The weight of the barrel. Some guys hang more weight on the end to facilitate. They have bent guns worth $100,000 or more. I personally have bent a lot of Bows like that . I used to make re curved bows.
When you bend the gun it will spring back a little when you get done but not more than maybe 1/8"
I just bought a $350 plank from Freddie harrison. I intend to bend it before I even start so I can get more drop.

Well ... that brings up an interesting problem then ... just how long do you soak the wrist with rag soaked linseed oil before you apply heat? :hmm: And obviously you would have to remove the rifle stock finish as well before applying the linseed method ...

Davy

Davy.
you do not have to remove the finish first neither do you have to soak the wrist with the oily rags just take some rags soak them in linseed oil [boiled linseed oil wrap them around the wrist and then immediately apply the heat lamps. Keep the rags and the heat where you want the bend to be. As soon as the wrist becomes hot enough it will begin to bend.
don't forget and go of to the bathroom or something or it may look like a pretzel when you return. Remember if the rags begin to smoke the oil is too hot back off the lamps. About 400 is the correct temp. One of the custom gun makers left one for a while and when he got back it had bent about 7" but he just bent it back and it was fine.

Hey thanx Jerry ...

I may just try it this weekend .. wish me luck! I just want to adjust it an inch or so down. I appreciate your help and the information! :grin:

Davy

Davey.
Tell you what. If you are a bit hesitant in bending your gun stock, go get the shovel out of the garage and bend it. After that you will have more confidence. Try some other wood around the shop also. Hard woods bend with less difficulty than soft woods.

jerry huddleston said:
Davey.
Tell you what. If you are a bit hesitant in bending your gun stock, go get the shovel out of the garage and bend it. After that you will have more confidence. Try some other wood around the shop also. Hard woods bend with less difficulty than soft woods.

What is your recommendation on the best way to support a rifle while 'bending' the wrist to get more drop?

If I understand this correctly you want the weight of the barrel to perform the bending which means the rifle can't be in a vise anywhere ahead of the wrist area.

Do you simply clamp the middle of the buttstock in a padded vise and let all the weight hang out front?

ROUNDBALL.
That is correct. It might be a good idea to put some kind of stop under the front of the barrel . Not touching it but below it about where you would like the bending to stop. Just incase you go to sleep.
If your afraid your barrel is too heavy do it the opposite way. Clamp the barrel in the vise and put some kind or weight on the butt end.

Back