• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help .. TC buttstock heel too high!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm... could be. Should've thought that through a little further. Still -- I would think there'd be enough meat in an aftermarket (as opposed to T/C) stock to allow the use of the 1" barrel, particularly since we're talking about a .50 caliber in this specific case.

I say "I would think" but have to acknowledge that some of my worst troubles have been due to thinking :haha:, so it's more than likely that I've just opened mouth and inserted foot, once again. And me just having come in from cleaning the dogs' yard.

mongrel said:
Mmm... could be. Should've thought that through a little further. Still -- I would think there'd be enough meat in an aftermarket (as opposed to T/C) stock to allow the use of the 1" barrel, particularly since we're talking about a .50 caliber in this specific case.

I say "I would think" but have to acknowledge that some of my worst troubles have been due to thinking :haha:, so it's more than likely that I've just opened mouth and inserted foot, once again. And me just having come in from cleaning the dogs' yard.

Well fellas ... I dont know about you all ... but I feel much better since tha swellin in my head went down from all that hard thinkin ... and of course since I gave up hope! :hmm: :grin:

Davy

2. I have looked at the Pecatonica replacement stocks for TC, but was told by them that the drop on them was not much more than the standard

here's a PR stock fer my T/C hawken and it has more then an inch of drop over the old T/C stock....i'll dig up an old picture of my restocking of it that shows the difference of the two drops of them........bob

331786.jpg

Well, before you toss the stock in the ash can, may I suggest that you go buy some 80, 120 and 220 grit sandpaper (red garnet's the best) and see how deep the "burn" goes?

I suspect it's mainly the varnish or whatever the finish is that's blackened.
Yes the wood may be slightly charred but I doubt that it goes much more than 1/16.

You may have to sand off quite a bit of the finish back on the butt and on the sideplate areas to get everything to blend in.
Even if the wrist is slightly darker, after you re-oil it, in the worst case, it will look like someone with dirty hands was handleing it. In the best case, no-one will even notice the color difference and just think "Boy, this gun sure has a nice slender wrist. Nothing like that chunky TC Hawken it almost looks like."

Can't you hear it from the poop deck? "DON'T GIVE UP THE WRIST!!!" :grin:

chara.jpg

char.jpg

Well unfortunately .. the damage was worse than that! As you can see from the cloesup photos .. the burn is real and is somewhat deep! Believe me ... unhappily .. it was toast! :cursing:

Compare the amt of wood that was removed to get to a somewhat dubious presentable level ... exposing the trigger guard. I could have removed more, but dared not! :cursing: I do wish it had been otherwise! :( It was NOT happy campersville that day!

And yes Bob, I would appreciate a gander at a side by side comparison on the Pec stock to the TC original!

Davy :hmm:

i don't have a side by side i thought i did....sorry....but here's the tang before i bent it to fit the new stock....ya can see how much it sticks up here and just think if ya can follow the line of the comb down it goes to bout an inch of drop more.......bob

P.S...i'll have to git another picture of the two stocks side by side to show ya better....give me till the weekend after thanksgiving....

346760.jpg

Davey, at the risk of causing my brain to smoke like that stock did, I have an idea that just might make the stock at least salvagable. Now bear with me here as I try to wade through this. What if you were to cut the burned area away around the wrist of this stock and inlaid some nice piece of contrasting wood, like say maple or whatever. If it could be fitted cleanly you could then reshape the wrist area, refinish and have a totally custom look. Try not to laugh too loadly at me over this one. Just thought since I personally never want to give up it might be worth a shot in the dark on it. What has a guy got to loose? swamp_thing

white buffalo said:
i don't have a side by side i thought i did....sorry....but here's the tang before i bent it to fit the new stock....ya can see how much it sticks up here and just think if ya can follow the line of the comb down it goes to bout an inch of drop more.......bob

P.S...i'll have to git another picture of the two stocks side by side to show ya better....give me till the weekend after thanksgiving....

346760.jpg
xchara.jpg

Heres an interesting comparison of the change in stock heel drop after the bending process, compared to the drop in the Pec stock ... look at the tang is both pictures ... yours and mine... :hmm:

Davy

Davy said:
white buffalo said:

346760.jpg
chararev.jpg

Heres an interesting comparison of the change in stock heel drop after the bending process, compared to the drop in the pec stock ... look at the tang is both pictures ... yours and mine... :applause:

Swamp your idear certainly has merit .. takes thinkin on! :hmm:

Davy

wrap the wrist area in rawhide or deer hide to make it look like a repair job...{which is what it is] :thumbsup:

brubincam said:
wrap the wrist area in rawhide or deer hide to make it look like a repair job...{which is what it is] :thumbsup:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: not a bad idea...
(of course it's not my rifle we're talkin' about)

UGHO...SORRY...maybe you could talk them into it...i once used deer hide on a two piece CVA rifle to hide the joint...wasnt too bad... :winking:

davy here's them side by side pictures....hope they help..................bob

347696.jpg

347698.jpg

347699.jpg

Hey Buff ... thanx! A couple of questions...

1) What do you estimate the drop difference ... it looks more than an inch in the pictures.

2) Did you notice a great difference in eye level/cheek comfort with the new drop?

3) Would you ... if done again, prefer more of a drop or is it what you wanted?

BTW nice wood and nice job amigo! :hatsoff:

Davy

1. the drop is 1 1/16" over the old stock....

2. big difference....

3. the drop is what i wanted to shoot it better....

hoped i helped with the pictures to make up yer mind in what to do....

thanks to roundball :v who put on to pecatonica fer there stock with the extra drop....but if i knew it then i would have gone with a full stock..............bob

white buffalo said:
1. the drop is 1 1/16" over the old stock....

2. big difference....

3. the drop is what i wanted to shoot it better....

hoped i helped with the pictures to make up yer mind in what to do....

thanks to roundball :v who put on to pecatonica fer there stock with the extra drop....but if i knew it then i would have gone with a full stock..............bob

Thanx for the photo comparison Bob .. beautimous wood! :grin: I have sent you a private message!

Thanx

Davy

that's what happens when you bend them too far,
"YOUR WORLD RENOUNCED" bend them just right and your RENOWNED. :rotf:

Back