• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help to ID Derringer type pistol, possibly a Slotter!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Hawkeye

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Came across an old small percussion pistol/derringer and am having trouble identifying it's maker. It has no stampings or marks denoting a model or maker, but based on my very limited knowledge about these type pistols & the scarce info available it looks a lot like some of the Slotter & Co. backaction derringers with the round flat top barrels. From front of breech to muzzle is 4.25" & it appears to be a 36 cal, based on my attempt to measure it with calipers. All the brass hardware, the breech tang & the lock plate are beautifully & skillfully engraved and the grip is checkered. This was a high quality, beautifully made firearm in it's day so I am puzzled by the lack of a makers mark. In the "note" section of the book page it mentions there are other variations of Slotter pistols & there was little variation in markings, but could this be a Slotter made for others to market? Any help or references will be greatly appreciated.
derr right.jpg
derr left.jpg
derr top.jpg
derr bottom.jpg
derr bore.jpg
derr book page.jpg

Came across an old small percussion pistol/derringer and am having trouble identifying it's maker. It has no stampings or marks denoting a model or maker, but based on my very limited knowledge about these type pistols & the scarce info available it looks a lot like some of the Slotter & Co. backaction derringers with the round flat top barrels. From front of breech to muzzle is 4.25" & it appears to be a 36 cal, based on my attempt to measure it with calipers. All the brass hardware, the breech tang & the lock plate are beautifully & skillfully engraved and the grip is checkered. This was a high quality, beautifully made firearm in it's day so I am puzzled by the lack of a makers mark. In the "note" section of the book page it mentions there are other variations of Slotter pistols & there was little variation in markings, but could this be a Slotter made for others to market? Any help or references will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 356064
View attachment 356065
View attachment 356066
View attachment 356067
View attachment 356068
View attachment 356069
Nice workmanship but without any maker markings who knows ??
Have you pulled inspected bottom of the barrel for any markings ?

That's a very nice pistol. In my UNprofessional opinion, however, I don't think it's a Slotter. I went through my Wilson and Eberhart book that has 11 pages of Slotter photos. One pistol has a grip cap very similar to yours. Two pistols are shown with metal forecaps like yours. On the negative side, no guns have a solid under barrel rib, none show a circular thumbpiece or plain oval barrel wedge plates. Almost all have more pointed birds head grips rather than rounded and there are no left sideplate designs like yours. Keep in mind, I'm no expert, and this could be a one of a kind special gun made to order for someone, so it could be super rare and valuable.

That's a very nice pistol. In my UNprofessional opinion, however, I don't think it's a Slotter. I went through my Wilson and Eberhart book that has 11 pages of Slotter photos. One pistol has a grip cap very similar to yours. Two pistols are shown with metal forecaps like yours. On the negative side, no guns have a solid under barrel rib, none show a circular thumbpiece or plain oval barrel wedge plates. Almost all have more pointed birds head grips rather than rounded and there are no left sideplate designs like yours. Keep in mind, I'm no expert, and this could be a one of a kind special gun made to order for someone, so it could be super rare and valuable.
Thanks!!! Every bit of info can help.
Nice workmanship but without any maker markings who knows ??
Have you pulled inspected bottom of the barrel for any markings ?
What looks like a 3X over an illegible letter under the barrel wedge lug, then a PV. On the bottom of the breech is a O with a star on top. On the side of the barrel is an E over the letters I & G inside an egg shape inscribe line.
deer bbl marks bottom.jpg
derr bbl marks side.jpg

ELG is a Belgian proof mark. Doesn't necessarily mean the gun is a Belgian maker, as the English are known to import Belgian barrels as they were less expensive than domestic made.

The star over the "O" is an 1877 and later inspectors mark. May give an idea on dating the gun.

Last edited:
Thanks!!! Every bit of info can help.

What looks like a 3X over an illegible letter under the barrel wedge lug, then a PV. On the bottom of the breech is a O with a star on top. On the side of the barrel is an E over the letters I & G inside an egg shape inscribe line.
View attachment 356544
View attachment 356545
It does have a Belgian proof mark but that doesn't mean the pistol was made there.
Relic shooter

Back