• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!! Uberti 1858 Army Care and Cleaning Advise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Uberti Army 1858 44cal. for my son he will be truning 17 next week and he always wanted one.Anyways where do I get cleaning brushs,and swabs for the 44cal. All I can find 45 cal.And how do you clean out at the bottom of the cylinder on the 1858.Where is a good place to find cleaning products for the 44 cal.I mainly I am into flintlock muzzleloaders.So I have no clue on the cap and ball pistols where to find cleaning and supplies for them.I always get my flintlock things at track of the wolf.But don't know where to find anything on cap and ball pistols.And any pointers on shooting please let me know too.I really need the help here guys.

Thanks
Jason

Cabelas and Midway USA both have extensive stock of black powder supplies, both for cleaning and shooting. Anything you need can be found there. Patches, solvents, lubricants, nipple wrenches, cappers, etc. they're all there.

As for the .44 vs .45 I'm not sure it's much of an issue. The supplies I have are designated for the .45 caliber but the Pietta 1858 I have would be considered .44 and they seem to work just fine.

I just got into revolvers too and had some similar questions.
Here's a link to a thread I started with another link attached. basicaly the same gun internally; http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/265801/post/1102389/hl//fromsearch/1/

Alot of guy's are useing Ballistol with the revolvers.
The 44 cal issue is really just a title, they actually shoot a .451-.454 ball so they are a 45.
I just use a common pistol mop for my soapy water clean up, it reaches every where I need it too.
Then drying and oil,
It's a snap,, :wink:
Follow that link to VTI and you'll find blow apart schematics and parts list, I found the handbook/manual on Uberti's web site, for my 51 Navy.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ Q-tips. I use a brush designed for cleaning Glass tubes on coffee/tea makers. Nylon bristles and is the perfect length to go through the barrel.Also accesses all the nooks and crannies of the frame. If you have a restaurant supply store near you, check them out.

Jason, i have a 1851 Confederate Navy revolver and this is the kit that i bought with mine from cabelas.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sho...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104491980

It works out perfectly work my needs and also stores away easily....not to mention cheap! I use balistol/hot water mixture on my guns. Also like ghettogun mentioned, q-tips (and an old cotton t-shirt) with be your best friend especially when trying to clean the cylinder. I use the t-shirt and tear or cut my own patches to clean with. Comes out a little cheaper and i just ball it up and stuff it in my ammo can afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
The uberti and pietta 44cal are .452 caliber sized by modern measuring standards (groove to groove). The bore size (land to land) was .44. If you look at the actual size of the ball used it is .451-.457 (the same as .45 colt). That is why you can easily use .45LC with conversion cylinders in them. A .45 brush and mop will work fine.

What part of Iowa? I'll be driving there hopefully before the end of the month to visit with my son in Pella! Maybe we could get together for a shoot?

The hardest thing to clean the right way is the cylinder & nipples. Make sure that you take the nipples out of the cylinder every time that you clean the gun or you will rust them in place! I use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine which emulsifies black powder residue on contact. Use it in each chamber on both sides, including the nipple pockets, after tooth brushing the pockets under hot running water. Some folks like regular hot water, but I like the non-toxic chemical after a hot water rinse, then followed by a second rinse after the treatment to remove the cleaner. Oil it up and yer good to go!

Doesn't take that long and hardly ever have to use a brush since the Bore Shine does all of the work and foams up nice to let you know it's working. Cleaned a friend's revolver who claimed it was clean and the chemical foamed-up due to BP residue in the chambers of the cylinder! A real time-saver, especially if you pour some into a small cup and drop your nipples into the cup and swirl them around while you're doing the barrel & cylinder, etc. A quick rub with some paper toweling gets the residue off of the nipples, then oil & re-install.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave is right about the nipples rusting on....if it happens once, you won't make the mistake again! I like to put some anti-seize on the threads of mine, dabbed on with a q-tip

RonnieK said:
Dave is right about the nipples rusting on....if it happens once, you won't make the mistake again! I like to put some anti-seize on the threads of mine, dabbed on with a q-tip
:wink: anti-seize works well for long storage too! Just be careful with the q-tips. Don't use them once they start to fall apart, or you'll be plastering q-tip cotton onto the threads and they'll stick really bad with the fibers.

I shoot my Pietta New Army revolvers every week and I have 12 extra cylinders for them. So, cleaning the cylinders can be a chore. Or you can do this:

Take the cylinders out.
Dunk the front end of the pistol(not the trigger guard) in a bucket of 10/1 water/Ballistol (COLD, hot water is for washing your undies) use old tooth brush to scrub all exposed metal.
Take it out and dry.
Run 3 wet patches and 3 dry patches through the bore with the same solution as above. Oil with Ballistol
Dunk the cylinders into bucket of 10/1 water/Ballistol. Use Brownell Speed Mop (which has six mops attached) to pump solution through all the chambers at one time.
Use tooth brush to clean cones (nipples) and surrounding area. Use compressed air (in the field I use cans of compressed air) and rags to dry.
Oil with Ballistol.
Done.

Total time cleaning two revolvers and 12 cylinders is 40 minutes. Note I don’t remove the cones from the cylinders. I have anti-seize lube on the threading and as long as I have been shooting and cleaning like this I have never had a cone get rusted or stuck. I don’t remove the grips either. I also have being using the same bucket of 10/1 water/Ballistol for 6 months and I top it off every few weeks. You don’t have to go completely OCD about these things, clean is clean.

Pella is a long ways away for me.I live in the north westren part of Iowa.I did put together a cleaning kit for it.I do have a few more ?'s for them thou.I am going to post them up here on a nother topic. thanks for all the good advice guys

Jason

Back