• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with a derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mid to early 1800s when cartridges came out better designs took over but I bet they were carried longer.
Might be easier to make a barrel key then find the right one. You might try GENTLY to turn the barrel with a coin. Don’t try to hard!

When comparing it to that dime it appears to be a very small gun. I couldn't quite comprehend the size earlier because hand sizes vary considerably.

Nice looking little pistol. After you verify it is unloaded, you might try clamping it vertically in a soft-jaw vise, then put the hammer down on the nipple with a small piece of rubber between the two, then fill the bore with penetrating oil. Let sit for 24 hours or so, the GENTLY try to unscrew the barrel using a strap wrench.

Very neat boot or pocket pistol. It likely would have come paired with a bullet mold, which would have a key or fitted end to unscrew the barrel. Certainly Belgian, a gentleman's gun maybe about 1840-ish.

Attachments

• 1725936404665.png
    1725936404665.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
It is a screw barrel. Those four slots are not rifling, they are for a special key tool that is/was used to unscrew the barrel. Once that is done, powder is filled in the little chamber in the action. A soft lead ball is placed on top that fits in the barrel. However, it will not fit down the barrel. That is meant to give tight compression to the ball in the barrel, and when fired, provide more power to the small gun.

As somebody else said, use penetrating oil first, wait a while. WAIT! DANG IT! 🤪 Then put the action in a vice and use a strap wrench on the barrel.

Have fun, it probably was not shot much at all in its day.

The Doc is out now. 😎

Do be careful trying to unscrew the barrel. Those bulbous sack grips have a tendency to crack especially if they are old. Compared to the amount of wood in them there is an awful lot of holes in it to accommodate bolts, screws and in letting of barrel and folding trigger. It drys out and is easily destroyed. Wish it wasn't but this is from personal experience.

Nice looking little pistol. After you verify it is unloaded, you might try clamping it vertically in a soft-jaw vise, then put the hammer down on the nipple with a small piece of rubber between the two, then fill the bore with penetrating oil. Let sit for 24 hours or so, the GENTLY try to unscrew the barrel using a strap wrench.
right answer

If I had that little gun I would look to see if a model airplane propeller reamer would come close to fitting in the barrel. If the blades are too thick then carefully grind them down to fit the barrel slots. You can cut the smaller size steps off as desired too. The old Fox manufacturing prop reamer would be easier to grind to fit but the company had shut down and was sold to MECOA. I don’t know if they will make more or not. But the tools still show up on eBay etc. the Grest planes ones are nicer but may be harder to grind to fit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fox...-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#piu=ps:29

Latest posts

Back