• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with first build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello. I would like to build my first rifle. While looking around at the different sites, I found a rifle I really liked, English Rigby Sporting Rifle. I put the link below. It doesn't look too difficult. Do any of you experienced builders know if this would be suitable as a first project ? Any experience with this particular rifle and/or company ? I want to make sure I get off on the right foot. I appreciate the help.

English Rigby Sporting Rifle

That's a parts set with a precarved stock. You'll learn a lot but it's not the most beginner-friendly combination out there. You'll have to learn to do almost everything- inlet a barrel, hook breech, completely inlet a lock, etc. This is also a sophisticated gun that only looks good when done well. It can be done, but maybe 1 in 10 guys can do something like this pretty well on the first go-around. I advise most people to do a military gun or a plain trade gun for the first building attempt, as a first time builder can get by if he's not aware of the subtleties of lines, etc.

The other option many beginners take is to get a kit that is more completely pre-shaped with lock inlets and all that. This is an expensive alternative that may or may not turn out great, but almost certainly will turn into a good functional arm. If it does not turn out well, it's not worth more than the cost of the parts minus the stock, though.

It would be best if you could find a local builder to take you on as a project.

You'll have to learn to do almost everything- inlet a barrel, hook breech, completely inlet a lock, etc.
Thanks for the reply Rich. I wondered about the same thing but in the price list it includes what it calls "Stock Inletting & Drilling". Would this include what you mentioned ? Thanks again.

Not sure, call the company and see what the deal is.
Rough and quick tally of skills needed for most any kit:
Inletting (at least cleaning up)
Shaping wood and metal
Smoothing wood and metal
Finishing wood and metal
Assembling the works including drilling and tapping
Depending on the parts set or kit, you may have to learn how to breech a barrel, file dovetails, fit sights and underlugs, determine the correct relationships between working parts like lock, triggers and touch hole or nipple, locate screwholes and barrel keys, all that sort of stuff. Maybe I lacked confidence but I started with a kit that was a little further along than this one, then progressed from there, and now work only from blanks and parts of my own choosing or making. There is always "extra wood" on precarves and unless one knows a bit about lines, it's easy to build some slab-sided sons of guns. Handling originals is about the best help a guy can get.

The Stock Inlet and Drilling refered to is the inletting of the barrel, the lock, perhaps the trigger.
This inletting is what I would call "rough inletting". The final inletting will have to be done by you.
What this means is you will have to remove some wood everywhere to get the parts to fit.
Actually, this is good because it allows you to obtain line to line custom fits between the wood and the metal parts.
These "kits" take a lot of time to do correctly.

I believe the drilling Rich was talking about includes locating drilling (and tapping) the holes for the screws which hold the parts on. These would include the lock bolt and the tang bolt.

I haven't built this gun, which is called a "Bar Lock" but I do know the location and fit of the lock and barrel have to be exact to look and function like they should.

I have several thoughts about your selection for a first time build.

These "kits" are just a bunch of semi finished parts. They do not just "fall together" like the kits you could get from Thompson, Lyman, Traditions etc.
Thompson, Lyman, Traditions kits are great for first guns because they teach some things and about 3/4 finished before you start.

As Rich says, it can be done. It is also a major project that can't be hurried. If you are willing to take your time, buy and read some good books on building guns, ask a Lot of questions here on this Forum and buy some hand tools you may not have now, you could do a nice job.

If I were to recommend a few styles of these "custom" guns in addition to those already mentioned for first time guns, it would be a plain Southern or Tennessee rifle in Flintlock.
Flintlocks are not as fussy about things like lock to barrel location so they are easier to build.

You could also order some of the guns from other dealers which are basically "in the white". These are not too much harder than the Commercial companys Kits although the selection of the style is somewhat limited..

Let us know what you decide. :)

Hey,
I just build my first kit and it was a great project, but quite involved.
I would echo Rich and Zonie's advise and pick an easier one for your first attempt.
I took this forums advise and started with a "simple kit" and I was glad I did.
Not to put you off, but they are alot of work.
Think MONTHS!!!!
Once you have more experience you can go back and build that one.
There must be other more simple styles that you like.
I think they are just trying to make sure you don't get so dissapointed in the art of building a ML that you throw up your hands in frustration and quit.
Not that I ever wanted to do that with mine
:eek:

ayup, what old army said... think in months... just started building my first 'scratch built' (as in, stock blank- a bit of rough cut timber) ... at first i thought 'what the %^&$* did i get myself in for, but it seems to slowly coalesce into something that might look like a stock ... in the future ... maybe...

ain't self delusion wonderful ...

remember the object of the exercise: this is supposed to be fun

msw

Back