• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with ID of rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavyp133

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am new so bare with me

I had to buy a magnifying glass to help me look at this rifle for my father in law and here is what I came up with. I will also try to send pictures of everything explained.

The rifle is in relatively good shape and has been fired before. My father in law told me he got it from a distant relative who lived in Philadelphia. That relative told him he has had the rifle since the early 1900's. The powder horn is in very good shape and was given to him at the same time. The ram rod is also with the set.

The rifle is 68" in total length
The barrel is 51 1/2 " inches to wood frame and 53 1/2" inches in total length
The ram rod is 51" inches long
The barrell bore is approx 1/2 inch

There are proofs and stamps in various places on the rifle.

Made in Belgium on top of barrel

E over LG over a star in an oval on the side of the barrel- this stamp I have found but could be wrong was used in Austria from 8-18-1818 through 6-11-1883 or from 1811 through 1892 but probably before 1856. This mark is from Liege and is a black powder proof for rifles and is either provisional or definitive mark.

An *S over a perron near the action where the spark enters the barrel

Striations on the inside of the striker plate over the made in Belgium area

On the main plate near the trigger is an eagle stamped

On one of the brass barrel collars is an indiscernible mark which is possibly a JG

On the end of the barrel there is a brass collar. I removed that collar and found inside the collar the following engravings: There is a square stamp with a circle in it. Below that stamp is an S with an * over it. Below that stamp is a stamp which is either a 2 or a sideways Z with a line and a clover leaf or the like under it. Those were hard to see but I did send a picture.

On the outside of that same brass collar at the end of the barrel were the following marks. on one side was J.G. On the other side was a K with a star over it in an oval. The controller of that proof was Delseaux Walthere from 1929-1968. Below that was a C with a star over it in a diamond. The controller of that proof was either Breau Louis or Francard Dieudone from 1924-1968.

That is all the proofs, stamps or trademarks that I could find. Just trying to ID it, date it, find the calibre and see what it is worth for my father in law. Thanks

I am still trying to figure out how to download photos for what i have described.

HW:
You need a total picture of said firearm. Dial calipers will tell you the caliber. Is it smooth or rifled? Where are you?If someone lives close to you they could ID it.
Nit Wit

Back