• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help, Yelp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Gordy. All encouragement much appreciated. Just gotta take the leap here. I think I need a better awl, and might go with the waxed linen thread, so I gotta pick up the phone again. I do like to sift through a bunch of different points of view and techniques and decide which works best. Come to think of it, I do that with just about everything.

Regards, sse

In a "pinch" I've flattened out forks and modified accordingly to use for spacing and on thinner leather as a punch.
Shorten all the prongs except the end one just a bit. The longer one goes into a previous hole/mark. Smack with a mallet to leave impression for spacing.
Also find that when I punch all the holes first, wire brads are a help if used in punched holes to help keep things lined up as I go along.
For thread, I usually use bow string material (just because I have it) It's pre-waxed, minimal stretch, and abrasive resistant. Running twice through the eye of the needle gives me 4 threads in the stitch, plenty strong.
Just my "frugal" way. :redface:

Thats a great idea useing the flat fork with 1 long tine.I made something that works like it, but was a lot more truble to make. I used a small block of wood and drilled 1/16" holes, in the holes I drove 6d finish nails (3) 1/4" on center works good but the fork dosn't "block" Your view as much as the wood pc. And I didn't leave the end nail longer as a guide. I have many old forks stashed in my shop and a couple are about to be hole markers.(who said old guys can't learn new tricks) Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ::

Back