• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hi all am new to the post

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per the Hodgdon 777 FAQ sheet, they recommend a .49 Speer RB and a .02 lubed Ox-yoke patch. At 90 grns you'll be at 1988 fps.

I mention this only because I was in your same shoes. Owned an inline, shot plenty of deer with it then ran across some buckskinners at a Lewis and Clark festival. They looked like they were having fun. So I bought a GPR .54 cal. After rolling 5 deer with it last season, I'm hooked. Round balls are the bomb!
Either way, being a bit spoiled by my inline and it's capabilities, I was determined to duplicate it's performance to the best of the GPR's ability. I bought RB's in three different configurations (different manufactures and sizes) and did the same with patches (from .005-.02, lubed and unlubed). Also tried different powders (Clean shot/American Pioneer and 777, both in FFG). When my testing and patterning was all said and done, it was a recommeded load from 777 that worked the best. 100 gr 777 FFg, .02 Ox-yoke & .53 Hornaday RB. Quality & consistency at 100 yds (off a bench). Now that I know the rifle can do it, I just need to make myself as steady as possible.

One other thing. Get an extra and preferably a synthetic ramroad. Great for the range, perfect for cleanning and unbreakable. :m2c:

Latest posts

Back