• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi all

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh45gun

40 Cal.
Reaction score
New to this forum but some members may have seen my name at other forums. I am into black powder besides my other guns and have built a lefty side lock 54 cal round baller with a green mountain barrel and am in the process of building a 12 guage and a 54 cal fast twist. (green mountain barrel) Both these guns will be underhammers and not sure how I will build the actions yet if I will go with conventional plans or make up a design of my own. I will ask of any ideas at the gunsmithing forum. Both of these guns will have full stocks on them so they will be a bit different from the Hopkins and Allen underhammer designs. Jim

jh45gun
Welcome to our group, lots of fine people here.
Jump in get your feet wet and stay active. Again welcome
I am snake-eyes

WELCOME!!!
Underhammer people are relativley rare these days. I don't have one, but am quite familiar with the design. Simple, reliable and direct ignition. Very fast.
If you don't already have it let me know and I'll get you the addy for Bruce Lingenfelter in Wa. State, who builds underhammer actions. He is MR. UNDERHAMMER, believe me, he builds some fine actions and some BIG BORES.
Glad your aboard.
Word of warning however. There are a few here who's names I won't mention that tend to stretch the truth a might. ::
So be skeptical when you read anything posted by Zonie, Maxiball (WHAT!?), Stumpkiller, Musketman, Daryl, and the likes of such. :haha: :blah:
Birddog6, however NEVER stretches the truth :no: and builds fine custom knives and flintlocks, :D

Thanks for the welcome guys!!! I do have the websight for Bruce Lingenfelter on my favorites list. I do shoot a built from parts left handed roundballer percussion ( Not a kit) with a green mountain barrel and I have a NEF Handi rifle also because they were cheap in price looked fairly well made and I wanted a conical shooter. ( Not sabots I like shooting large lead objects. ::) When I get the underhammers done and since I will have built them I will probably not shoot the NEF that much. I decided on the underhammer design because I figured It would be the least expensive way to go with the barrels as they were inline barrels to begin with. After my gunsmith drilled and tapped for the under the barrel nipple on both barrels he redid the removable breech plugs for me so I could screw tangs that I made for them right into the existing formal nipple hole. The tangs on them will fit some what like normal tangs on the traditional style full stocks.
The stocks will be full stock kentucky style stocks only shortened to fit the barrel length. It will be a interesting project for sure. I decided on those stocks as I knew a guy who had a few precarved ones he picked up and I got them for 10 bucks a stock. I had to change the barrel channel from octagon to round but that was not that difficult to do and the barrels after a glass job fit perfect. I am looking forward to finishing this project and shooting them but it will take some time as I am still thinking on the lock system. Jim

Back