• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi from Utah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got into Muzzleloaders in 2012. I have a small collection ranging in calibers from 32-58 and I also have a 16 gauge shotgun.

I cast my own minie balls, and I have a few revolvers. I am interested in learning more from people who have had more time to shoot.

I wanted to attach a picture of my Vincent half stock, but I can't find one.

Howdy from North Texas and welcome to the forum. Casting minie balls is an art forum of its own. Much more difficult than RB.
I've been doing it for years, and haven't had too much trouble. If I drop the 360 grain 50s too fast, the skirts bend, though. The maxis are a lot easier. I have had great luck with the Lee Real molds in 45-200, 50-250, 50-320 and 58-440. Any of them create a jagged hole at 50.

I haven't had any trouble with the Minie balls in my 58. I haven't tried to work up much of a load, though. I have the first edition of Sam Falda's Handbook, and it shows that the skirts blow out at higher velocities, but I am not sure what the cutoff would be.

I got into Muzzleloaders in 2012. I have a small collection ranging in calibers from 32-58 and I also have a 16 gauge shotgun.

I cast my own minie balls, and I have a few revolvers. I am interested in learning more from people who have had more time to shoot.

I wanted to attach a picture of my Vincent half stock, but I can't find one.
The "16" is a great shotgun shell and gauge. In the American South, it was hugely popular at one time, they realized it could do everything the "12" could with less pounding.I have an old sidexside 16 and it's sweet.

Welcome from Maine. I had a Vincent built with a flintlock.
Nit Wit
This is my Vincent. It was built from a track of the wolf kit. Vincent started building rifles 20 years after cap locks became popular, so I haven't seen many Flintlocks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220921_183516253.jpg
    PXL_20220921_183516253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back