• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi, I am new here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth I never use oil or any petroleum based products on my barrels; said to remove the seasoning of a barrel. I clean barrel thoroughly with hot water, dry completely then swab bore with bore butter. Been doing it this way for years and my barrels are like new to this day.

No. Sidelock actions are not intended to use those 209 primers. They work fine with the #11 caps. Don't buy stuff that won't work with your gun. Use Black POWDER only in the gun, and forget about shooting pistol bullets in plastic sabots in that gun, too. The rifling ROT is not designed for them, the depth of the rifling grooves is not right for the sabots, and frankly, you just don't need modern pistol bullets, or Conicals, to kill deer and any other thin skinned animal at under 100 yds, the normal hunting distance for such game. Most deer are shot at well under 50 yds, even using modern suppository guns. The PRB made of soft lead will kill extremely well within the range most people can accurately aim open sights, even using a peep sight on the rear. Do some penetration testing, and then read the Traditional Hunting thread located lower on the index page of this forum. There are SOME conicals that work on deer, but mostly only if they hit large bones. The soft lead ball expands even at low velocities and hitting only flesh, to create an enlarging primary wound channel as it passes through the internal organs of the deer. The recoil of a PRB is much less than a conical of any kind, for the same powder charge and velocity, which helps the shooter place his ball accurately on the game. Ball placement is what kills game- not velocity, or large bullets. A large bullet poorly places is just going to created a wounded deer that runs off to suffer and die where it can't be recovered.

Thank you Paul...I am not married to any ideas. If I had a modern inline I would be pretty set on using pistol bullets, sabots, and pellets.

I rarely shoot a deer with my 30-06 over 100 yards...just very conservative.

I have no problem shooting ball at all at a deer...so long as it will put them down.

New

rubincam said:
-----I have seen pellets shoot out of the barrels and go downrange-----

Did they come out like tracer rounds? Flame on!
That would be kind of cool to see. Maybe a 4 th of July load. Ron

paulvallandigham said:
There are SOME conicals that work on deer, but mostly only if they hit large bones.

Thanks for the info paul. I went into the basement and eased the barrel of the rifle into the freezer and took one more shot. I am sure that this buck was about to resurrect.
2009buck08-A.jpg

paulvallandigham said:
The soft lead ball expands even at low velocities and hitting only flesh, to create an enlarging primary wound channel as it passes through the internal organs of the deer.

Man again when I read this I went in again and took another shot into the freezer. Since I shot this with a butter soft conical I am sure this buck would have got back up. I wonder where this hole came from back when I first shot him on the hill?
2009buck10-A.jpg

paulvallandigham said:
The recoil of a PRB is much less than a conical of any kind, for the same powder charge and velocity, which helps the shooter place his ball accurately on the game. Ball placement is what kills game- not velocity, or large bullets. A large bullet poorly places is just going to created a wounded deer that runs off to suffer and die where it can't be recovered.

Afdter reading that I knew I had to put one more bullet into the freezer just in case I had any old stakes from other deer I had made the mistake of shooting with a conical. Then I went and look at some targets to kick my self for shooting conicals thos unaccurate bullets.
Megadeer15.jpg

Mybuck55.jpg

500SW3-22-08small-1.jpg

Group_2_small.jpg

In closing I would just say to the poster of this thread. You probably don't want to use conicals because you might become disappointed like I am. Ron

I am not going to apologize to you, Ron, for bumping into that mountain you carry on your shoulder. I have repeatedly, in past posts, indicated that if I were hunting big game larger than Whitetails, and out in the mountains where you hunt, and distances tend to be a lot longer than what we experience in the rest of the country, the Conicals definitely have their place.

No remark of mine was aimed at you, nor intended to offend your sensibilities about using conicals. So BACK OFF!

Some really nice looking bucks Ron, way to go. I've never been out Idaho way and the wife wants to see Washington state so maybe a vacation in the making some day.

I too have seen those pellets go flaming out the end of the muzzle and bouncing around on the ground like the projectiles out of a roman candle. My advice is to stay away from them. Most people I know who use these things are trying to turn their M.L.er into a centerfire rifle.
I have used conicals to take whitetail deer with my 54cal renegade. My experience is way too much penetration and not worth the added recoil. If I were hunting Elk or maybe bear I would probably use them.

So have I...I even saw the last of three in a series punch through the paper at 50 yards, chasing the projectile! Those things sometimes don't finish lighting-off for some reason.

Dave

paulvallandigham said:
I am not going to apologize to you, Ron, for bumping into that mountain you carry on your shoulder. I have repeatedly, in past posts, indicated that if I were hunting big game larger than Whitetails, and out in the mountains where you hunt, and distances tend to be a lot longer than what we experience in the rest of the country, the Conicals definitely have their place.

No remark of mine was aimed at you, nor intended to offend your sensibilities about using conicals. So BACK OFF!

Don't spread half truth. I am only trying to make sure that both sides are heard. ROn

apache 130 said:
Some really nice looking bucks Ron, way to go. I've never been out Idaho way and the wife wants to see Washington state so maybe a vacation in the making some day.

All you have to do is draw the right tag. That can be hard at times. Ron

That nipple conversion looks like one that takes rifle or pistol primers, not percussion caps. Percussion caps fit over the nipple and are struck directly by the hammer, while primers fit inside; hence, the cover with firing pin.

If you're shooting BP, #11 or #11 magnum caps should be more than enough until the gun gets so dirty that the nipple needs removed to clear the flash channel.

I have a couple of musket nipples that will fit my Grey Hawk, but haven't even tried them.

As for conicals, I've used them on whitetails, and they definitely get the job done. I have far more confidence in a maxiball at 100 yards than I ever would with a 50cal PRB. That said, I have shot a friend's 58cal flinter with PRBs, and it definitely could get it done, even at 100 yards. I think the 50cal PRB great out to 50 yards or so, but would prefer more diameter and mass. For a pure RB big game hunting rifle, I WANT 58cal or 62cal.

As for the "modern projectiles" that we don't mention here, they shoot great from my 1-48" twist, and group as well as I can hold the rifle at 100 yards. While certainly adequate for whitetails, I prefer the mass of the conicals, and like the fact that I can cast them myself.

Nice muleys there Ron!

I have one hangin' on the wall here that looks a lot like your middle photo. I shot it from horseback when I was 15(Wyoming). I've since hunted WTs in Idaho, and had muleys in the same area. It was really nice country, but the outfitter... :cursing:

I would REALLY like to take a bull moose!

Latest posts

Back