• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

High shoulder shot get a Doe for the needy family

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
AM hunt, at 9:00 three Does came flying thru from my left”¦5 minutes later a big rack came plodding along from the same direction about 50yds further out through thick trees / brush”¦couldn’t get a clear shot”¦and he wandered on out up away from me into a dense pine thicket / bedding area.

Waited another hour and at 10:00 started thinking about leaving”¦saw movement off through the trees and a Doe was wandering along about 35yds out”¦no behavior / indication of any back trailer so I figured I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth as it was time to deliver to the needy family again anyway.

Decided on a high shoulder shot to drop her DRT so I wouldn’t possibly get involved with a blood trail tracking job that might go out into that bedding area where the buck had gone because I'll hunt there some more mornings this week.

“The Settler””¦ my .62cal(20ga) Early Virginia smoothbore is one sweet, versatile Flintlock.

Nice shot Roundball!
Thats putting the bang flop into the hunt.
Did you get a pass through?
Looks like another nice day in the Carolina's.
That wood just pops in the sunlight. :thumbsup:

makeumsmoke said:
Nice shot Roundball!
Thats putting the bang flop into the hunt.
Did you get a pass through?
Looks like another nice day in the Carolina's.
That wood just pops in the sunlight. :thumbsup:
Yes, complete pass-through (.600"/325grn ball)...she dropped like a sack of potatoes and never moved. POI is that white-ish patch high on her shoulder about the size of a quarter. Exit hole was almost the size of a Ping-Pong ball.

So here I am, sitting in the dark, below freezing, white frost on the leaves...hoping to catch that buck distracted with luvin' on his mind...lol

Thanks for the report!..
I had 2 big fuzzy fox squirrels to keep me company on the bow stand this am.
at 18 deg. I hoped for more....theres always tomarrow. :thumbsup:

Back