• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to go after hogs in a couple of months. Any advice on shooting one with a 54 and prb?

Let me ask you, are you looking for a trophy or some meat? Either way the 54 with a PRB will do the job. But if you are going after a trophy hog I found that it is important to be aware of the animal’s awareness. If he senses something is wrong and is jittery that means his adrenalin might already be pumping through his system in which case you might make a good shot but he will still run quite a ways off.

I have used 85 grains of 3Fg with a PRB and had them drop in their tracks or run off over a hill with the exact same shot placement. Tracking was not a problem because the ball went straight through and the blood trail was easy to follow. But dragging them back over the hill was a task to be avoided.

I’ve had my trophies so now I am just a meat hunter and when I run into a herd I am very careful in picking out the pig I want before getting into position and taking the shot. I feel like I hit the jackpot when I get a clean shot at a hundred pound sow. Hope that helps.

It hasn't been mentioned but in addition to a carrying a stout loaded .54 you might think of also toting a tree along with you :rotf:

placement is everything. a .54 will surely do the job when a good hit is scored
placement means practice before you go hunting.
good luck - wild/feral hog is good eating.

I was talking to my brother a month ago and said the hogs have returned to his land,(tearing up the low field he says) they've been gone for close to a year, As soon as my health stabilizes I'll be there to hunt some, It would be nice to get a nice sow to put in the fridge with the venison. Tryinhard I wish you luck on your hunt, a .54 will do the job. I'll have to get up a load for my .50 as I don't think my deer load of 65 grns. of 3f KIK is good enough.

I am thinking a ball behind the ear would be good medicine and not ruin very much meat. Would I be correct in my thunkin'?

Meat is first on the agenda but if I get the opertunity I will try for the trophy.

A ball behind the ear, is not a good shot IMHO . They are constantly moving thier heads up and down as they feed. Just go for the vitals and your .54 prb will do the job nicely. If you happen to get real close say 20yrds or less you could go for it.

Back