• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Barrel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I,ve Booked a hog hunt at the end of April. Id like to bring my muzzleloader shootin a 54. Cal. round ball. What do you think my maximum range is shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f ? Hogs may weigh up to 230 Lbs.
Mike..............

I agree with Micanopy!
Their eyesight is poor, hearing is pretty good, but they can smell better than a dog.
Play the wind and move slow, no reason you cant get within 50-75 yrds(or closer) keep it close, put the ball where you want it. Good luck, And have fun! :v

Boy, it's sure going to depend on where you hunt. Some areas you can stalk them in the open and some you're going to be digging them out of the brush. I got all tangled up in a pig roundup a few years back, and though they started on horseback in the open they dove into the brush once we pushed them. We were rooting around under the brush on our hands and knees before the day was over.

I'd get an average range estimate from your outfitter, but I'd be surprised if your shooting is over 100 yards, even in the open. You can almost always stalk closer if you're quiet and watch the wind. But rest assured that if you spook them, the next time you get near them there's going to be brush involved.

Most hog hunts are shot at close ranges. Ask the guide or outfitter.

I will also suggest that you use a conical bullet, like the Hornady Maxi-hunter, to shoot boars. You can kill them with that .54, but unless you hit them in the brain, it may require a second shot to bring the boar down before it can run or charge, using only RBs.

I saw this happen on my first boar hunt. On my second, all the MLers were shooting conical bullets. All of those boars were 1-shot kills, DRT. The boars can be both angry and scared. Either way, the adrenalin will be pouring through their arteries and veins. It can get dangerous for both man and animals( dogs and horses) if a boar charges.

Often, attempts to escape are mistaken for charges at the hunter/shooter, who just happens to be standing in the path the boar has chosen to use for his escape. If you are not moving, Boar do not see you well. They are very quick at slashing Anything they fear with those tusks.

It all depends on what the conditions are where you will be hunting. If I was out in the open, in perfect lighting conditions, resting my rifle on something stable, and the hog offered me a broadside shot 100 yards away I would not hesitate to shoot it with my .54 using a PRB. Most of the time however, you will not encounter these conditions so it will depend on the situation as well as your own comfort level and ability. Every hog I've ever shot was well under 50 yards from where I stood. Use your chosen powder charge/RB combination with confidence on those hogs, even the large ones; they aren't bullet proof. A hogs anatomy is different from a deer though, so if you are used to taking heart shots, understand that it is lower and more forward. Here is a link that shows you that more fully, and graphically as well; http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
The only reasons to use a conical is if you have a rifle with a fast twist rate or is just not accurate with RB, as is the case with some 1:48 ROT guns.
PS- if you gut shoot a hog of any size, sow or boar, just drag it out of the way and let it feed the buzzards, there ain't no saving the meat after the stomach has been punctured. You are welcome to try of course if it comes down to that, but I'll never do it again, ever. :barf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thaks for the help. Im going to call the outfitter to get the scoop.

I mostly use either my .32 crockett with 40 grains of ffg and a patched roundball,or my .45 CVA kentucky with 80 grains of ffg and a patched roundball. the trick is to pick and chose your shots properly, the best shot to put them straight on the ground is between the ear and the eye about an inch down. Body shots on big boars with roundball can be iffy, stick to smackin them in the head. I kill a lot of them all year long and have done so for many many years and its no major task if you do it right, but like most things, if you do it poorly..........

What do you think my maximum range is shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f ? Hogs may weigh up to 230 Lbs.

That load will be effective right up to the max range at which you can reliably place the ball in the vitals 100% of the time.

Piggy vitals are a bit more forward than a deer.

Your right. The vitals are forward more. I was checking out the link bull3540 posted. Great info. :hatsoff:

Down here in the Pineywoods of east Texas we average between 40 and 75 yards. I will say this. If your hunting alone. carry a back up piece. There is nothing worse than freezing in a tree with yer boot filling up with blood. With nothing to throw at'em but acorns. traditional or not when hunting hogs alone I carry a 629 classic 44 mag as a back up. Just my two cents
Be careful and good luck :thumbsup:

I hear ya there Hammerschild. I also was thinkin of carrying a sidearm. Maybe my 54 Cal. plains pistol. And maybe I shouldnt try to be so traditional for this hunt and carry my Colt King Cobra. :hmm:

Back in the day, I shot 3-4 hogs in TN., with a CVA BB Mtn. rifle, .54 cal., using a .535 RB, .010 patch and 100 gr. FFg. Never had to shoot any of them more than once.

maddog2

maddog2 said:
Back in the day, I shot 3-4 hogs in TN., with a CVA BB Mtn. rifle, .54 cal., using a .535 RB, .010 patch and 100 gr. FFg. Never had to shoot any of them more than once.

maddog2

Just to clairify. Its wasnt the sow I shot that opened up my leg . It was her ****** off boyfriend. Came out of the brush to my left about 60 feet away. Tried my best to get up that tree but he was a helf step faster than me that day. He tusked me through my mocc just above my Acheillies tendon. That SOB rooted around the bottom of that tree for 2 hours before he went and sniffed at her for another 30 minutes. I waited a good hour after he was out of sight. Climbed down and reloaded my poor muddy rifle. then limped my arse to the clinic. Followed directly to the gun shop. No tree climb'in next time. :grin:

Back