• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hole off center

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
So I drilled and taped the tang through to the trigger (in a Hawken)and the holes are slightly misaligned... The front screw was ok but the rear one striped the threads going into the trigger plate as it was off just that far.
Any suggestions?

Can you go to a #10 screw? You can file the head of it down so it will look like a #8 at the tang.

AS a retired tool and die maker I would take my trigger plate to a good weld shop have them weld the hole full with a mild welding rod/wire, file the plate smooth and redrill and retap the hole where you now need it. Or if there is no welding shop in your area I would try the same procedure with JB weld.Another solution which might be available depending on thickness and width of the plate would be to retap the hole to the next size larger mix a small amount of JB weld to secure the patch and screw in a section of mild steel thread ( either all thread or a piece cut off of a mild steel bolt.) and thread it into the hole and file smooth and redrill and retap.

inlarge the hole in the stock a little so you can aligne the next tag bolt get a new tand bolt next size up and redrill and tap agin

saber said:
inlarge the hole in the stock a little so you can aligne the next tag bolt get a new tand bolt next size up and redrill and tap agin

This was kinda my thought... I can imagine that the "weld and start over" over would be MOST correct but I dont know atht I have those resources....

If you drill & tap the hole THRU the stock, it is drilled & tapped & no way to strip the threads...... IF..... you had the triggerplate up tight & etc so it stayed in place. I always clamp my plate up so it stays right where I put it.

DO NOT enlarge the hole yet. You want that hole snug on your tap so the tap stays true.

Have someone weld up the hole with a wire welder or buy a new trigger asm, Drill a Pilot hole in the triggerplate at the correct angle, in the place necessary.

Drill the new tap hole the correct size, drilling with a Drill Point in a drill press. Drill from triggerplate towards tang.

Then tap the triggerplate hole inserting the tap down thru the Tang into the plate with the plate up snug where it needs to be.

Then you drill a clearance hole for the screw shank, again down thru the tang but just TO the triggerplate.

You probably have half a dozen neighbors with a wire welders in their garage, you just don't know it. Ask around, go to town to a NAPA store & ask, go to any auto machine shop or auto body shop, or any welding shop. SOMEONE has a wire welder handy & will do it for very little.

Leave the JBWELD for patching holes in exhaust pipes to get you home..... It is not going to hold up to the screw stress, oil impregnation, etc. Or, you will just have to go back & fix it again. IMHO, Fix it right, fix it one time.

Keith Lisle

PS: Now if your hole you drilled thru the stock is not true, it will throw the tap off, so insure you have correct alignment first. If not, you will need to correct that initially to end up with true & easy screw allignment.

Wattsy said:
saber said:

This was kinda my thought... I can imagine that the "weld and start over" over would be MOST correct but I dont know atht I have those resources....

Sure you do , send the plate and I'll weld it up :wink:

jerry huddleston said:
How far off center is the hole? Actually I think we need a photo.

Its off a 64th-ish... close enough to get the screw into it but off just enough to strip the threads off the screw...

Back