• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holy Crapoly!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh gee, ya think? :wink: I have diversity. I have a Pietta Dance revolver :blah: I started buying C&B revolvers in 1996 and until 2000, all I bought were Piettas. I have owned eight of them over the years. I didn't like the quality of them as compared to Uberti. It seems I was always replacing springs. I even had a Remington copy that just wouldn't work. I understand that since 2000-2001, Pietta quality has gotten a lot better. I just recently bought my Dance revolver (my second one) from Cabelas. I don't "hate" Pietta guns, just had bad experiences with them that I have not had with Uberti guns.

I had one of the pins fall out of a uberti navy which was brand new, before I ever shot it. I just used a little jb weld and the pin has stayed in. I think dixie sells the pins by themselves, if you deceide to fix it your self.

The Pietta manual does list the pins as separate components, so Dixie may be able to order them if they don't already have them.

Not much to report, but I talked with Traditions, and the CSR was very nice. Got the RMA#, and will be sending it in.

During the pre-shipping teardown and over-oiling, I noticed there was a lot of wear already on the hand, and the bolt where it engages the trigger. Not surprising. So, could anyone recommend where I should get good replacement parts for when they fail? I know they won't last forever or anything, but good parts last longer than average ones.

Cabelas has a good package deal on internal parts. They have all the parts but the screws in the package.

Otherwise, Dixie, Taylor's, and VTI stock parts one by one for a good price.

Any of them better that the others that you can tell? I've seen parts at most of the places you list, but if I can expect one set to last longer, that's the one I'll go with.

Pietta is Pietta. You technically could buy Uberti parts for better quality, but there's a good chance they won't fit even with a lot of filing.

The good thing about buying these parts is that they require fitting. The drunk monkey at the factory filed the bolt to my Pietta too thin and the timing a bit earlier than I'd like. I recently bought a bolt from Dixie to replace it. It just so happens that the new bolt was the perfect width. I also filed the tail so it times just the way I like it.

I would not mind if Pietta sold guns that were completely finished except for the internal parts. That way I could fit them the way I would like it.

If you're worried about the hand spring (which is pretty prone to breaking), you can modify it to a plunger and coil spring arrangement. Here's how it's done. The hand itself is soft steel, but that is so it doesn't mangle the cylinder. It peening isn't really a problem. http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. In that case, I'll do the same. What temperature should I heat it to and how should I cool or quench it?

Norinco said:
Oh. In that case, I'll do the same. What temperature should I heat it to and how should I cool or quench it?

Can't help you with that one. I have it done by a gunsmith. Rowdy Yates.

I harden mine by heating until bright red and quenching in water, then temper it by heating until dull red and quenching in oil. Seems to work. BTW, I hold it with hemostats by the spring to act as a heat sink. Some of my revolvers have the coil spring and plunger modification though. HTH

Alright thanks. I'll talk to some of the people in the engineering department to get some numbers.

I had far worse happen with a Uberti thirty years ago. Mis-timed, barrel bulged and split and literally ripped the cylinder pin out of the frame. But, it is the only time I have had the problem in over thirty years of shooting caplock revolvers.

Back