• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home Canning Venison?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody (and I bet you do!) have some good recipes for home canning venison or other game! I had some venison awhile back that was great and even though I am not a venison fan, I really liked it!
Rick

Growing up we butchered 20 pigs a year, smoked them and canned the tenderloins...About 10 years ago I started canning deer meat, I usually use the shoulders and hams...

It's a fairly simple process, with quarts add a teaspoon of salt and pressure cook for an hour and a half at ten pounds of pressure...For pints, use a half teaspoon and drop back to an hour and fifteen minutes at 10 pounds of pressure...

I use this canned meat many ways...You can open, drain the water, heat and throw on a bun with your favorite beef BBQ sauce...You can heat, add a little flour to thicken, add veggies, rice or mashed potatoes and have a meal...

I also make vegetable soup, using a pint as the stock...Everyone has their favorite vegetable soup receipe...I just add a couple of frozen packs of vegetable soup mixed veggies, a couple of large cans of crushed tomatoes and then add an onion, another couple of potates, carrots and anything else that sounds good at the time...Salt and pepper and either put in crock pot overnight or cook in a pot on the stove at low until the vegetables are soft...

Hi Guys, this here is a subject that has cought my interest. How do you do a home canning process? Do you use a glass jar instead of a can?? Whow long at a cool temp will home canned last? Sorry i dont know anything about this at all. Thanks for the help.
Regards
Dobson.

Can in glass jars...I used to use quarts but have moved to pints as the kids have started leaving the nest...

I've eaten deer that was 2 years old with no problems...The instructions that came with my canner were very detailed...Mine is a Mirro Pressure Cooker...

I "Corned" some venison this year, looked up a receipe on line, used Mortons Sugar Cure and added spices. This is really a brine cure and the flavor was excellent! Same flavor and texture as store bought (NOT canned :barf: ) Corned Beef.

Made Corned Venison and Cabbage at the Alafia and it was a hit!

Ben

Friends of mine have gone over to doing all their moose and caribou canning in the oven instead of the pressure cooker. They can do bigger batches that way. I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense to me.

They pack their dishwasher-sterilized jars up to within a half-inch or so from the brim. Then they put on the lid and sealing ring but don't screw it down tight. Into the oven the jars go (make sure they don't touch each other) at 350 degrees for an hour. When the jars are pulled out, the lids will seal themselves down tight as they cool. When completely cool, screw the rings down tight. Done!

Sounds simple enough to me although I'm sure that the local cooperative extension would advise against it...

We (Wife and I) have been canning deer meat for over twenty years. The recipe we have calls for the meat to be cut into 1/2" cubes, with all fat removed. Fill a quart jar half way and pack tight. Then add a 1/2" cube of beef tallow, and a cube of beef bullion. Fill the rest of the jar with meat and pack tight. Place another cube of beef tallow and a table spoon of salt. Put lid on snug and place in canner. Cover with water and place on stove, for a hot water bath canner. Bring to boil and boil for three hours. Remove and tighten lids, place on hot pads and wait for the lid to pop. This deer will taste like prime beef, and last for several years in a cool place. Hope this helps. Leon

Definitely not suggested, the whole idea of the pressure canner is to be able to raise the internal temperature high enough to kill microorganisms. Lots of testing has been done and the dry heat needed to achieve the proper internal temperature will compromise the jar sealing compound. I would not risk my internal serenity to the oven method. Recommended to consume home canned products (stored in a cool environment) within one year. Anyone who has experienced or witnessed some of the more serious foodborne illnesses will tell you it is not something you want to take a risk on.

Dobson said:
Hi Guys, this here is a subject that has cought my interest. How do you do a home canning process? Do you use a glass jar instead of a can?? Whow long at a cool temp will home canned last? Sorry i dont know anything about this at all. Thanks for the help.
Regards
Dobson.

Dobson,
Look on the web for home canning meats etc. Here in the states, we have local county extention office's where information can be found on home canning and preserving foods. You might have a simular agency or university office in your area, that can help!

WARNING! ALWAYS USE A SAFE PRESSURE COOKER WHEN CANNING ANY MEAT!

Good Luck, Rick

Back