• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made black powder solvent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a good home made black powder solvent that I could use in a spray bottle that would not only dissolve Powder residue but also bullet lube?

Ah! Two different jobs! The best solvent I know of for black powder is water, but that won't get you anywhere with the lube. I bet you'd like to find a lube solvent that also happens to work on black powder.

I doubt it will work on synthetic lubes, but mild soap is great for the olive oil, crisco, tallow and mink oil grease lubes I've used.

Okay, I'll quit messing with you. I just use water with a little bit of dish soap in it. I'd experiment with it on your particular lube first, then look for something else water soluble that will attack your particular lube.

Well, there's something in the gulf now they've been spraying that might work real good. Unfortunately it also seems to kill everything it touches.
But seriously about your question, that old cleaner recipe of alcohol, peroxide and soap is so good it has become a household cleaner. Soap and water is good for most everything. The super cleaner takes the rest.

ian45662 said:
Any thoughts on a good home made black powder solvent that I could use in a spray bottle that would not only dissolve Powder residue but also bullet lube?

I have used with success Formula 409....Gets-er done!
So too does warm water and a drop or two of dawn dish soap.
:thumbsup:

Been using a 3 part mix solvent for many years---1/3 peroxide, 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap, 1/3 isopropyl alcohol. It has never affected the blueing or browning on any of my single shots or muzzleloaders. The medical solution of hydrogen peroxide is too weak to damage metal finish.

Alcohol eats stock finish & peroxide eats steel. I use Windex. Any cheap glass cleaner works perfectly.

I agree with zrifleman. I have used that solution for around twenty years . Great stuff. No problems. I have not used water or oil on my muzzleloading guns since the 70,s. I can put them up for a year and go back and no rust. I also use bore butter after cleaning.

Ive used dif things as above one I tried is simple green and water 50/50 . have never tried the 1/3mix of alcohol/peroxide/oilsaop but fig It will get a try sometime

Simple Green will remove oil finishes from a gun stock. If you use it, dilute before using if the barrel is still in the gun. I use Simple Green to clean my diesel engines and diesel residue on an engine is the hardest thing I have ever tried to remove.

Water with a touch of water soluable oil . Just enough WSO to make it like 2% milk .
A.K.A. Moose Milk . :thumbsup:

Although I shoot 90% of time with saliva moistened patches and clean up with water and Dawn dish soap.

I use to use lestoil and warm water, seemed to do a nice job,I would plug the vent with a toothpick and pour it down the barrel, let it soak, dump it out run a patch or 2 and repeat then finish off with just hot water.If I wasn't going to be shooting for a few days I would run an oiled patch down.I have since moved on to Stumpy's Moose Milk.That seems to be working quite well.your probably gonna get about 100 answers on this :haha:

Mark---We are talking about medicinal peroxide that you buy at the pharmacy. At 3% it is not going to damage the finish on your guns. One of my Sharps has over four thousand rounds thru it and the wood and metal finish is a good as new.

Yep the simple green is good for cleaning up the old rifles packed in grease (mil surp)it works well for degreaseing and is easier on your hands then min spirits or acetone. And like I said mix with water for muzzleloader cleaning 50/50

Latest posts

Back