• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made bullet lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonibaruch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm giving a try to beeswax+oliveoil bullet lube.

At this moment I am at 1 dose beeswax + 6 doses olive oil, but looks still too hard, altough it melts immediately in oil with the warmth of the hand.

Not very usable, it seems me, unless to lube patches (maybe)

I'd like to have a soft lube, something like a compact cream but I am not sure to be on the right path. One guy at the range made something similar with vaseline + beeswax. I expected my mixture to be much better but it's not.

Not sure what a dose is but try 1 part beeswax, 1 and a half parts Olive oil. Should be close to the creamy consistency your looking for.

For "dose" I meant "part".

But I am at 1 / 5 and it is still hardish, while it starts to smell like mayonnaise...

I'll try your way, mixing warm liquids.

My way was to put 1 part beeswax and one part olive oil in a glass jar, then in microwave (very low). Wax wasn't melting, so I put the closed jar in boiling water, it melted but once cooled the mixture was hard, very hard, quite like pure wax.

Then I transfered the mixture in a bigger jar, added another part of oil. Boiled, warmed, too hard. Another dose of oil, boiled, warmed, too hard... Now I am at 1 + 5 but the result looks like hard petroleum jelly. Quite hard while cool, oil when you warm it in your fingers.

Maybe the mixture took too much heath in boiling water and something funny happened in it?

I just warmed the tallow in a double boiler. The oil was placed in a pan of hot water just to warm it up some so it wasn't cool when I added the two together.

2 parts of the ring wax and 1 part vaseline works for me.
I lube Lee mold conicals for my revolvers and REAL slugs for my .50's by dipping the warmed slugs into this mix while it is liquid then set the slugs onto wax paper to cool, it adheres well.
once you get a 'rythm' going it's easy to turn out a 100 or so.
I also use a felt overpowder under the slugs.

Latest posts

Back