• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made shot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Played with some rawhide for the first time. Made this small shot pouch. Not to bad, I let it soak in what was left of a coffee pot to get the color. Still drying,

shotpouch1.jpg

shotpouch2.jpg

Nicely done. Next one, make it narrower, with a longer neck. Then you can fold over the neck with the plug in place, to fit under a loop you sew in the seam for the purpose of keep the shot from pushing the plug out of the bag, and " escaping ". ( Shot does that, you know!) :youcrazy: :rotf:

The narrow shape will fit your hand better( I made my first shot pouch almost identical in shape to the one you have pictured here, so I know!) and you need that control when the shot begins to move inside the bag, if you are not to over fill and spill shot all over the ground. ( don't ask me how I know this! :surrender: :cursing: ) A pouch about 5-6 inches long, and 2 1/2 inches in circumference holds a surprising amount of shot. I would rather carry two of them than one large one like the one I have. Such a bag also makes a very good Sap, in case you wanted to know such a thing. Double stitch your seams on the next one, too. ( Don't ask me how I know about that, either, please. :thumbsup: )

Pretty much an experiment to see if I could do it. This one is 6" long and 4" at the widest point, wouldn't want one larger I know that as this one is heavy full of shot. You are right, would make a good sap lol. If I get a plug to work in it I will find a spot in the Turkey bag for it. :thumbsup:

I finally went back and finished this off. After drying hard the edges lifted apart in some spots, so I did a re soak. Then using synthetic sinew, stitched the edge. After drying I found an antler tine that fit the spout just right and modified it for a stopper. I think it definitely will live in my Turkey guns possible bag for sure now. :thumbsup:

shotpouch3.jpg

shotpouch4.jpg

shotpouch5.jpg

Swampy that's great! Did the pouch remain plyable after it dried? Love the antler plug, really looks nice! :thumbsup:

A rigid pouch (such as this appears to be) makes sense, following my experience with small soft bags. They can be a PITA to get balls out of in a hurry, while one of these looks like it would dispense easily.

How big is it, BTW? For size reference, I used the middle finger of an old leather glove to make a pouch that easily holds twenty-five 32 or 36 cal balls. I'm guessing that a pouch big enough for the same number of 50 or 54 cal RBs still wouldn't be very big.

Thats rawhide, once formed and allowed to dry it keeps it's form and drys as hard as the rawhide was in the beginning. So it's pretty hard.

Brownbear,

I had some rawhide and decided I wanted to try making my own shot pouch, really didn't give a ball bag any thought. I just tried a .54 ball for the first time and found that it probably could hold up to .58 cal balls. But RC made sure I had ball bags for my .58 and .12 ga so I'll just fill this with #5 nickle plated shot for my .20 ga Turkey gun. :thumbsup:

To show you the size of it.
shotpouch6.jpg

shotpouch7.jpg

As long as we are on the topic of shot/ball pouches, here is one that I made a few years ago.

1f449169.jpg

Brian tanned bag, hardwood throat, stopper, and shot cup. Woven wool strap, decorated with wooden beads and coyote teeth ( Bad Mojo!!! :wink: )

098695ce.jpg

3c29236f.jpg

Greg

Nice! I almost left more of the antler beam to hollow out for a charge of shot but didn't. Looked to bulky. I like your shot cup though. :thumbsup:

Nice job!

I've made some using 4-6oz leather, soaked first, then using #6 shot pounded into the pouch to expand it. That weight leather dries hard and makes a nice shot/bullet pouch.

After a few days drying, the shot will nicely pour out, leaving nothing inside. While drying, stick a mandrel in the spout of about the finished size you want.

Others on the Forum may want to comment in the historical accuracy of these, but Swampy's version employees clearly known, available materials and techniques in the 18th century or later.

Back