• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made shot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:haha: Somebody dug up an old thread. Unfortunately this shot pouch did not survive puppy teething. :rotf: My fault for leaving it where she could get a hold of it. :( Anyhoo...I messed with the design and make em a little different since then. :thumbsup:

I see my question handled two opposite ways in the construction details above: so, what is the general consensus of the best way to make these ball pouches---stitched inside out and reversed, or straight up? Also, I am still not clear of why a welting is necessary for stitching leather like a pouch. Is welting needed in one way of stitching (straight up) and not the other (reversed inside-out) or vice versa? Or needed on both? Any thoughts on these questions?

I see my question handled two opposite ways in the construction details above: so, what is the general consensus of the best way to make these ball pouches---stitched inside out and reversed, or straight up? Also, I am still not clear of why a welting is necessary for stitching leather like a pouch. Is welting needed in one way of stitching (straight up) and not the other (reversed inside-out) or vice versa? Or needed on both? Any thoughts on these questions?

I find the seams hold up a whole bunch better with welts, especially with thinner leather.

As for reversed or not, that's mostly a matter of taste. I'm a fan of reversed, especially with a gusset because I have big thick hands, yet prefer smaller bags. My rule of thumb for designing and sizing bags is that I need to pull my closed fist out of it without hanging up. That's cuzz when I reach in and grab something, I don't want the bag to come up with my hand when I lift.

Lot of other reasons to choose your style, but mine are purely functional choices.

If I get a plug

Get???
Yer a handy guy, howzabout making yer own?
Ye can use rolled leather, whittle one from a branch, carve from antler or bone or about anything else you can think of.
If you really want to "get" one, Dixie used to sell a wood cylinder and plug that works very well. I have used a couple of those, but don't tell anyone. :wink: :redface:

Back