• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade cleaning Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just last night I started cutting on an old ripped up fitted cotton sheet that I’ve been saving. I’m keeping old ratty t-shirts and whatnot for this reason too. I think I’ll let the old non-white cotton items do the initial cleaning and save the white stuff for after to see how clean I’m getting. I figure for every penny I’m pinching doing this I can feel good knowing I’m repurposing items that would normally go in the trash anyway. Time wise it took 15 minutes of my night and saved me $15.00. And the main thing? I enjoy the process. Nuff said.

I've been doing a lot more shooting since my last move and cleaning patches online have become expensive ordering every month. What material do you all use for your own patches?
I cut up old 100% cotton white tee shirts. One shirt will last for years.
Buying cleaning patches is a colossal waste of money, just like buying lubricated felt wads for percussion revolvers.
BTW, lubricated revolver wads do not have to be round and of chamber diameter. They can be cut square and work fine. Their only purpose is to carry lube.

Old white T-shirts. I do not care about differences in thickness whatsoever, just as long as they are white. Yard sales are a good source for them, as well as Good Will stores. However, I seem to be pretty good at going through enough white T-shirts to keep me supplied.

It is difficult to comprehend that this thread has gone to 4 pages. I can't imagine a less interesting topic. On the flip side is the fact that so many responded, which means this site is more than alive and well. That is a very good thing.
Check out the Pyrodex thread, Mike. Also four pages and still going!

Notchy Bob

"One shirt will last for Years"
????????
Someone needs to get out shooting more, or buy More Guns!

I buy them by the 6-pack and cotton Flannel by the yard (2 or 3 yards at a time): that MIGHT last a year...
I can't imagine going through that much. A yard would last me for years. Drying the bore with paper towel would make a difference, but I certainly wouldn't be throwing away cloth patches when they are so easy to re-use. You must be rich!

my favorite is fleece cleaning patches don't need to be cotton their not being fired only used for cleaning and drying I get remnants at the fabric store for a couple of bucks and cut it up into approximately 11/2" squares works excellent cleans better then anything else I've tried

I can't imagine going through that much. A yard would last me for years. Drying the bore with paper towel would make a difference, but I certainly wouldn't be throwing away cloth patches when they are so easy to re-use. You must be rich!
I tried washing t-shirt made patches to reuse them, didn't work as they begin to fall apart, generally begins with a 'caliber' sized hole in the center from scrubbing the bore.
Plus with the cost of laundry detergent, water bill, electricity to run the washer and dryer, as well as time consumed - I only use 5 or 6 one to two inch patches per cleaning...not worth the bother.
Not to mention I found they are not as absorbant the second time around, just pushes crud around instead of pulling it out.

I just put my best three piece suit on, sit on the hood of my Lamborghini and pull out a few fresh patches...I do however wash my tow, a tad of dish soap, squish it under faucet and set aside to dry while I put on my Hue Heffner smoking robe and enjoy the sunset (and No, I don't reuse the tobacco in my pipe either)

Back when I worked for the Prison System a white cotton T- shirt was part of our uniform. I retired with a dozen of them, Even the old rotten ones will clean quite well.

Latest posts

Back