• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkins & Allen .36 rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEOklaShooter

Pilgrim
Reaction score
:( I have looked all over the internet for a .36 underhammer rifle new or used with no luck. The guy that has them on the auction sites is out of parts. If anybody has idea please email me at [email protected] Thanks Brushy SE Okla

My last e-mail from Bruce indicated that the Hopkins and Allen is no longer available.

Clear Creek Trading Co. sold them a couple years ago at a good price.I tried their website but it was a dead end.I dont know if there still in bussness?
Here is a toll free number which i havnt tried in a couple of years.Might be worth a try.

866-628-3669

Unfortunatly, underhammers right now are few and far between. Deer Creek has halted production for now. Not sure why as the demand seems to be there for them. Anyways, cross your fingers as Deer Creek has not decided on what they want to do about making them again. Won't know until May. I contacted them a week ago and they said call back then to see where they are at.

I spoke with Bruce yesterday evening. I think he said he's machining his own receivers but is waiting for triggers and hammers. He's having a hard time getting underhammer barrels from his supplier.So, he's been taking new T/C barrels or Green Mountain IBS barrels,removing the factory breech plug, put in his own breech plug, drilled and tapping a nipple hole and installed an underhammer nipple.
The IBS barrels are either blued or stainless, come with sights, ramrod, quarter rib, thimbles, etc. I ordered a .50 Green Mountian stainless barrel and had it shipped to him, he will refit for underhammer. The 50 Cal, 28 inch with 1-28 twist stainless steel barrels are on sell for $125. Great price! Check out the Green Mounitan website for internet specials. I don't think Green Mounitan is making a 36 call barrel any longer, it's been replaced with a 40 cal. However, before I did anything I'd give Bruce a call at 877-301-0708. He's a great guy to talk to and is very helpful.

schuetzen32 said:
Try this web sight. He had a .36 for $600. The action is not a hopkins and allen but it looks much better. A plus is the interchangeable barrels.
[url] http://www.lx.net/wadeingrham/muzzlelo.htm[/quote][/url]
The old H&A actions like mine do have interchangable barrels. Mine is the style with a drift pin holding the barrel in place. I think the later copies like Deer Creek use a screw. H&A advetised additional barrels back then, asking you to send in the receiver for fitting. If you can find one of these in any caliber, you can have a barrel fitted to your action or do it yourself.

There was also a post here about a month back which showed a very simple U/H design.

I looked for a .36 barrel yesterday at GM's site but they no longer list it. Checked Natches and MidSouth on the off chance of finding one, but no luck. Now I'm considering making a .36 for my H&A which must be the target model as the barrel is about 1" round and weighs a ton.

RedFeather

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken thats been for sale since the first time I've seen it on here..maybe 6 months ago. I'm not sure but one barrel maker told me he'd have to have "the" pin dril to fit the barrel,something about how it narrows down, a few guys on here can explain that ,they did once before. Fred :hatsoff:

Maybe the slip pins were tapered. Makes sense.

Anyway, here's a link on Gunbroker:
[url] http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44058081[/url]

If he doesn't have them, he ought to pull the adds.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
fw said:
If I'm not mistaken thats been for sale since the first time I've seen it on here..maybe 6 months ago. I'm not sure but one barrel maker told me he'd have to have "the" pin dril to fit the barrel,something about how it narrows down, a few guys on here can explain that ,they did once before. Fred :hatsoff:

Bruce Lingenfelder at Blue Grouse throws the pins away and uses three screws to hold the barrel in place.

does it say target .45 on the barrel? if it does its probably 1-1/8 across the flats.

A standard taper pin reamer will do the hole and taper pins can be bought. I think the size is #7 but can't be sure as it's been a while sense I have done one.

Thanks John I couldnt remember what that tool was called. Numrich arms had some pins 2 weeks ago I ordered 2. and the barrel for the 36 is smaller than a target barrel, I think that was just used on target and ? the 58 cal? to lazy to go ck sorry. Fred :hatsoff: :grin:

walruskid1 said:
does it say target .45 on the barrel? if it does its probably 1-1/8 across the flats.

Someone put a lot of work into this rifle. I first thought it was a heritage model receiver and buttstock due to the shape and patchbox. I remember the barrel read Numrich Arms and I thought it might have been one of their old round barrel blanks in 1:52 twist. When I looked at it again the other night it also read Hopkins & Allen in the center line. The barrel is at least one inch round. I will have to measure it. The forend is custom made in a beavertail style with some simple brass fittings and a nice little nipple prick which fits in front under the ramrod. The rod, itself, is a dowel with brass tip on one end and just a whittled slot on the other. I suppose it's more of a wiping rod. It's held under the barrel by a a single round thimble that's soldered on. Nothing fancy but very well executed. Sights are a simple blade front and plain standing notch rear. The front is pretty low. I can hold it offhand but not for very long. One other thing is where he inletted for the patchbox he seems tohave removed a lot of wood inside the stock. Maybe he intended to add weight to balance it out. And the buttplate is curved but not skinny. Sort of a semi-shotgun style. Is that what the H&A's came with?

RedFeather

I'll see if I can dig it out. It;s waaaay in the back. Really need to make an inventory shoot of my smokepoles anyhow.

RedFeather

Back