• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn makeing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Robertson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to get started makeing powder horns and doing some scrimshaw work. I have a full wood working shop, so I'm not lacking for the "bigger" tools. Are there specific tools used in scrimshawing ? So, where is a good place to start ? What would be some good books, web sites or other information available ?

The tools used for scrimshaw are as varied as the person using them. I use an exacto blade sometimes but mostly an old dental pick that the curve has been ground off to produce a straight "scrimmer".

A good book is "Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn", by Scott & Cathy Sibley. Walks you right through the process. Easy to follow. :thumbsup:

In addition to the regular woodworking tools gather an assortment of files, rasps and rifflers. Small ones are handy for details; a few should have a safe edge. A small, sharp knife, or scraper [burr edge] serve well to shape, reduce thickness and clean up the surface of the horn. Rely on your own devices to hold the horn securely while being worked. A cloth bag filled with sand or small shot is useful, as is an 18 to 20" length of 3 x 3" [taper both ends; wrap one end in leather and sink a 3/16" iron rod or heavy framing nail -with the head cut off, into the other]. Mount this in a swivel or tail vise and use the stud end, inserted into the spout to work the throat, and the leather end inserted into the butt to rasp and scrape the body.
Hands-on and a little imagination will reveal the rest; or get the books.
~Longshot

Longshot47 said:
...as is an 18 to 20" length of 3 x 3" [taper both ends; wrap one end in leather and sink a 3/16" iron rod or heavy framing nail -with the head cut off, into the other]. Mount this in a swivel or tail vise and use the stud end, inserted into the spout to work the throat...
~Longshot

Interesting. :hmm: Do you have any problems with the horn spliting because of the rod? Is the rod tight in the spout hole or quite loose? Thats a pretty good idea!

Have'nt split any yet, but I guess its possible. I generally hold the butt end in one hand and work a tool in the other. The fit need'nt be 'tight', but I sometimes wrap the stud in adhesive tape if a particularly large bore spout calls for it.
Scrape on!

Latest posts

Back