• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hornady or speer roundballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snuffer said:
Our local sporting goods caries both, same price. Which one do you prefer and why? Thanks

Hornady has been my first choice in all sorts of products during my lifetime and couldn't be more pleased with the performance I've gotten out of using .395/.440/.490/.530/.570 rou nd balls.

Over the years I've stumbled across an occasional good buy on boxes of Speer RBs at gun shows, etc...couldn't tell a bit of difference in using them at the range compared to the Hornadys...so I could use either...but in keeping with standardizing where ever possible, I always reach for one brand and for me thats Hornady.

(Also, I've noticed that Speers sell for $1 or $2 a box more than Hornadys for some reason)

I recently learned that in .530, the Hornady balls are slightly smaller and lighter then the .530 Speer balls. After being told this I confirmed it with my mic and scale.

Latest posts

Back