• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hot peppers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brubincam

62 Cal.
Reaction score
-----my son has several hot pepper plans blooming with peppers---how do you save them--dehydrate-freeze-bag them ?????

First of all, what kind of peppers? Jalapenos? Chili's? Tobascos?

Need to know that, then can answer you. Some you can freeze, some need to be roasted then froze, some dried, and some canned :rotf:

Tell me what you have.

string and dry cayennes (or pickle). jalapenos pickle (yummie). that's all I've ever grown. I eat pickled jalapenos with nearly everything. even a sandwich. :)

Dry them or pickle them.

If you dry them make sure they are all dry then store in capped mason jars. I dry cayeene whole, put a slice habaneros/jalepenos to get them to dry quicker, and dry sliced strips of fully ripened bell peppers. Sometimes it's too humid here to air dry so I use a food dehydrator.

Hot cherrys I usually pickle. You can water bath or pressure can them if pickled. Get a good pickling mixture and follow the recommended processing time.

I usually dehydrate mine and then store them in a paper bag. I have some that have stored that way for over 5 years now.

-----we have several varieties --when dehydrating--do they dry whole-sliced -diced-?-----

When I use the Dehydrator. I usually half the bigger long types lengthwise. For the smaller varieties make a small slit in the pepper or cut the very tip off. Bell peppers I cut into about 1/2" squares.

Try dehydrating tomatoe slice's! I cut tomatoes about a 1/2" thick and lay in the tray. The finished dried tomatoe flavor is very concentrated. Use as sundried tomatoes in soup, salads etc. Like Tony says,.... There Grrrrrrrreat! :thumbsup:

Rick

Thick flesh peppers like Jalapeños are better pickled than dried. You could smoke Jalapeños too, that makes them into Chipotle's...Yummmm !!

you can take some of the dried veggies with ya on a trek n add them to soups or stew like meals, they are great that way. I grind up some of my dried tomatos n add to broth while out hikeing , it sure adds alot of hearty flavor n sticks to yer ribs so to speak, dried veggies are great. Most veggies with a so called thicker skin(peppers , tomatos squash etc, i'll either poach or roast or take the skin off in some way, easier to dry n better flavor from what I've found

rubincam said:
-----THANKS--ever dehydrate sour cherries---THEIR GREAT-----

Nope, but I will have to try sometime!

I also like to dry sliced apples. I put sugar and cinnaminnnnnn..nim :shocked2: then put in dehydrater. Makes for a tastey snack or making pies or turnovers at camp!

dried fruit is HC also. the old timers 'sulfurized' apples by burning sulfur underneath the drying racks - to keep bugs off and preserve the fruit too. dryed peaches too.

Sounds good, I was talking with the wife thinking that some dried tomatoes and peppers might make a good soup mix when she said it would be good if after dried, dice em up really fine and use it as a seasoning on some chicken or duck. Anyone try this? :thumbsup:

I dry garden veggies about every year at the end of the growing season. Seems like I'm always experimenting, but never tried your idea. Don't know why it wouldn't be good. I have dried tomatoes, bell pepper, hot peppers etc., and store in jars five years ago and their as good in recipes as they were the day I dried them! On some recipes, I will soak them in olive oil before using.

Thanks for your service and good luck and come home safe! :thumbsup:

Rick

I've had success sun-drying chilis, scotch bonnets and various asian strains spread over an old screen door, set on sawhorses. Covering with a plastic tarp at night helps retain the original colors and speeds drying. I call 'em dry when the seeds rattle inside. Store whole in cookie tins or jars, or blast in a blender to preferred flake/shake size. :wink:
~Longshot

I don't get all that many peppers and usually
what I do get is from the grocery store.
I will usually get a mixture of all they have.
Bring them home and with no cutting blanch them
for maybe 2 minutes in boiling water and a bit of
vinegar and salt.
After the blanch,immediately drain and then chill in ice water. Pat peppers dry with paper towels. Make a slit on each side of pepper.
Stuff peppers into a jar(I mean stuff) and cover
with oil. I use olive oil,but use what you like.
.Let settle.If necessary add some green olives
to keep jar tightly packed.Cap jar and place in frig for a week.
Now you can either use the oil or cut up peppers
in your recipies or both.
Might want to taste the oil before using.Depending on the peppers used it may be
very potent.Careful with habeneros.
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

Back