• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Santa Fe Hawken or Browning JBMR ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage1

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Curious about what the general thoughts are on the Santa Fe Hawken in comparison to the Browning Mountain Rifle. I like the close to original look of both. The Santa Fe is a little more plain looking which is likely more “authentic” but its bore is actually .53 and not .54. This is something Uberti/Western Arms seemed to have done unknowingly and the rifles shoot a .52_ prb.
But what are your thoughts on which would be the way to go…. since a GRRW is looking hard to find and extra $$. Thanks much.

Curious about what the general thoughts are on the Santa Fe Hawken in comparison to the Browning Mountain Rifle. I like the close to original look of both. The Santa Fe is a little more plain looking which is likely more “authentic” but its bore is actually .53 and not .54. This is something Uberti/Western Arms seemed to have done unknowingly and the rifles shoot a .52_ prb.
But what are your thoughts on which would be the way to go…. since a GRRW is looking hard to find and extra $$. Thanks much.
If you can get the balls for the Sante Fe Hawkin it would be my choice! The Browing doesn't have double triggers which I like!

Given the choice, I would probably opt for the Santa Fe Hawken. The .53 caliber bore is not a problem. Production made moulds are readily available in .520” and .526”, as well as cast balls in both sizes and swaged balls by Hornady in .520”. The Santa Fe Hawken is not a perfect replica of the original St. Louis rifles, but it is pretty close. That may not matter to a lot of people, which is fine, but it matters to me.

The Browning JBMR is a nice, solidly built modern muzzleloader with traditional styling. Browning designed their own hardware (the buttplate is massive), breeching system (internal and external), and lock. The Browning rifles are said to be extremely accurate shooters. I don’t care for the ram’s horn on the snail but I understand a lot of people like it. Some original rifles had single set triggers, like the JBMR, and I don’t have a strong opinion on that one way or the other. I don’t know if the JBMR trigger has to be set to fire or if it can be fired unset. There can be some advantages in having a single trigger instead of two in a hunting situation, especially if it can be fired unset.

The JBMR’s Achilles’ heel, and the real deal-breaker for me, is that they are notorious for breaking mainsprings, and replacements are virtually nonexistent. A forum member once sent me photos of the inside of a JBMR lock in un-cocked and full-cock positions. The distance that the lower leaf of the mainspring has to swing is quite impressive. I think it is likely that the Browning lock design just stresses the mainspring too much. I contacted L&R locks a while back and asked if they had considered adding a JBMR replacement lock to their RPL line, with better-engineered internals. I received a very cordial and courteous response, but they indicated they had all they could do just keeping up, as it is. There were no plans for a JBMR replacement lock in the future, and it was unlikely that there ever would be.

I will say that the JBMR has a lot of appeal. It is a nice looking rifle, for all of my criticisms.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Replacement parts for the Browning Mountain Rifle are becoming hard to find. The Santa Fe rifle lives on in the Pedersoli line up.

I would choose the Santa Fe. The 0.520 or 0.526 round balls are available. Some original rifles from Sam Hawken were bored for a 0.540 groove diameter. The 0.526" balls are correct for the rifles.

Back