• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how about this mink oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was gonna buy a commercial Mink Oil product it would be this stuff from Track.

They call it tallow but I am positive it is bees wax, smells exactly like Bumblin Bear Grease

mink-oil_1.jpg

Ten bucks, plus shipping, for six ounces seems mighty expensive to me. The can of pure Kiwi brand mink oil I have cost a lot less than that. And, you can add your own beeswax if you wish. I don't use mine for shooting, leather protection only.

If you're thinking of patch lube, about anything slippery will work at least somewhat and under some conditions. How it reacts to heat and cold, whether it may tend to dry out, what sort of fouling it may leave in the bore, all are questions that can only be answered by trying it.
When Richard Lee of Lee bullet molds was experimenting with bullet lubes one of his favorites was found by melting down his kids coloring crayons. :haha:

It actually comes as an 8oz tub instead of 6oz, I bought some to try against the Bumblin Bear Grease as well as some homemade bear grease, gonna see what works best in my neck of the woods in my rifle.

I just added it to an order for some gun parts for my daughters rifle so the shipping was not an issue.

thanks for the response guys. im trying to find a place to buy mink oil that accepts paypal since i do not have a credit card.

i figured mink oil is my best bet since it gets pretty cold up here....for instance this past wednesday it was 4 degrees.

I know what the link shows, when I ordered it from that link they sent an 8oz tub.

The op is looking for a patch lube not a leather dressing, in your own words you only dress leather with your "pure Kiwi mink oil".

By the way "pure" mink oil is a liquid at least down to 38* (current temprature in my shop), it is not solid unless mixed with something else, its the something else that is the problem when using different concoctions as a patch lube.

As far as the money I spend on my hobby, spare no expense, lifes to short to suffer thru inferior products.

:wink:

I have been using that stuff and my rifle and I like it alot. I just smear it on the bore side of the patch. My tin has lasted several years now. I use Hoppes #9 at the range though and the Mink oil for hunting.

If you looking for a product that doesn't get rock hard in freezing temperatures you will probably be disappointed because I see on the label that the product contains bees wax, and bees wax definitely get hard in freezing temperatures.

The Trappers pure mink oil grease from track of the wolf get hard too, not as hard as some other products I've tried.

I always put a prospective lubricating product in the deep freeze to check on cold weather claims.

If you like testing different lubes then check out this product cold weather specs. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gxc.aspx

I've read that whale oil was used long ago, I've also read that modern automatic transmission fluid is a very close substitute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott
I tried the TOW Mink oil.I had to swab about every 3-4 shots using it. With Hoppes #9 B.P. lube I do not have to swab. This is with a Rice round bottom groove barrel and a Long Hammock regular groove.I also plan to try it for hunting only.
Macon

Your grease type lubes are best for hunting and your oil (wetter) lubes are best for range work for those who don't want to swab between shots. For those of us who swab between shots it don't matter which one is used. :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
Your grease type lubes are best for hunting and your oil (wetter) lubes are best for range work for those who don't want to swab between shots. For those of us who swab between shots it don't matter which one is used. :thumbsup:

:hatsoff:

Apprentice Builder,Ok you guys got me confused LOL!What comes in a 8oz. tub the Original Mink Oil or the stuff from the Track of the Wolf?For $5.79 I would think the Track Of the Wolf mink oil is not a bad deal.It should last a long time if just used for hunting.Thanks

Yup,

your correct the stuff from Track is $5 and change, not sure where that guy got $10 from, guess he got lost on the way to the link.

It is an 8oz can

Back